Chiangmai: Waiting for our visas - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

January 22, 2008

Chiangmai: Waiting for our visas

Chiangmai isn't a bad place to wait four days for our visas. We have good food and bookstores within walking distance. Not that walking here is too much fun. The sidewalks are generally full of obstacles, cracks and holes, the curbs are ridiculously high and stepping up and down makes you feel like you have climbed a mountain after a 20 minute walk. Usually you end up walking in the streets, dodging the tuk-tuks and motorcycles. Cycling is actually easier, but if the distance is too short it isn't worth locking and unlocking your bike.

When touring by bicycle, there's a limit to how much you want to buy and stuff into your already overloaded panniers, nothing actually. Still it was fun wandering around the night market and admiring the tourist trinkets and also some very fine craftsmanship.

Night market
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about a new and more attractive helmet?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Or a hand painted umbrella to keep off the sun?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hill-tribe women displaying their handicrafts to tourists
Heart 0 Comment 0

And as always in Thailand, there is an incredible abundance and variety of fresh and enticing food in the restaurants.

Hard to choose
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's all fresh
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0