Day 34: Bordeaux - Lacanau Ocean: By the sea, by the sea - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2006

Day 34: Bordeaux - Lacanau Ocean: By the sea, by the sea

Again we will take advantage of the bike paths in la Gironde. Leaving the city is a bit complicated, there are fine paths but few signs. As usual Pathfinder Janos, with map and compass, gets us on the right track and soon we are headed for the Atlantic on the Bordeaux - Lacanau bike path.

Leaving Bordeaux on excellent bike paths - if you only know where they are going
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's cool and we have headwinds all day. After about 20 km we are finally out in the country and away from the highways. The flat landscape is now all sand and pine trees and heather.

Heading for the Atlantic coast
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bordeaux - Lacanau bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bordeaux - Lacanau bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campground at Lacanau Océan, huge and jam packed, is certainly the most expensive so far at 35 €! It's Saturday and August, and we're lucky they have a site for us. All of the town of Lacanau is overrun by the summer crowd, but you could hardly expect it to be any different so close to Bordeaux. In the evening on the beach promenade we witness some wonderful street theatre. Five dancers perform a very professional street-dance number, after which they pass the hat. The audience is crazy about them.

Again it is cold at night in the tent and I wish I hadn't sent that package back to Munich with my warm stuff. In the heat of the Provence I couldn't imagine I would ever need a fleece jacket again.

We've reached the Atlantic
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,990 km (1,236 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0