Day 24: Capestang - Trebes: This is all going too fast - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2006

Day 24: Capestang - Trebes: This is all going too fast

The end is in sight, we can count the kilometers. Tomorrow we will be at my sister's in Durfort. I have mixed feelings. I can't wait to see my sister but I've loved cycling here and hate to have it over so soon. On the other hand, I see we are tired, we are complaining more than at the beginning and are not taking time to look at things. We have taken only two rest days so far and it's probably time for a break.

Leaving Capestang
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today we have some of the prettiest landscape so far. I love rural France, the villages and farm country. The coast might be better in October. We make our way from village to village and struggle against a constant northwest wind. Wind requires patience, you ride at a snail's pace and must accept it.

On the Canal du Midi
Heart 3 Comment 0
Early morning on the Canal du Midi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards after leaving Capestang
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vineyards and hills, after leaving Capestang
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today is Saturday and the little campground in Trèbes has organized a gala evening for its guests: dinner (duck, french fries and wine) and entertainment (chansons) for 14€. It's all very fun and very French.

Before we go to bed we study our maps and can't make up our minds on what route to take tomorrow - via Carcassonne on busy roads, which would be longer, or the prettier route over the Montagne Noire, which would involve more climbing than any other part of our trip. I hate the cars and am afraid of the climb. I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,409 km (875 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0