Ushuaia - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

February 3, 2023

Ushuaia

We got going after nine thirty this morning,  a bit later than we had hoped for given that we were uncertain as to what the weather might turn out to be.  In the end it was a bit of everything.   Some sun , some light rain and wind from all directions. 

Views across the valley just before descending to the coast.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped at the gates to Ushuaia,  still six kilometers from the city center, and waited for Tim and Jo to catch up.  After photos at the gates we headed down to the Fin del Mundo sign together.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was time for a few celebratory beers.  Being barely midday it took a while to find  bar or restaurant that was open but we eventually found one pretty much opposite the Fin del Mundo sign.  With us all looking pretty grubby and the bicycles leaning against the wall next to the entrance I got the impression that the staff might have wanted us to celebrate ending the journey somewhere else.  That didn't bother us too much and we polished off a few IPAs, soup of the day and some empenades. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

That was pretty much the end of the cycle tour.  It is another three weeks before we fly back to South Africa.  Between now and then we will spend nine days on a cruise to Antarctica.   But more of that after the ship returns to Ushuaia.

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 6,601 km (4,099 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonCongratulations! What a ride that was! I loved following along. Enjoy your cruise!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne. So pleased you enjoyed the journal. We certainly enjoyed the journey.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonSuch an epic adventure. I feel proud of the two of you, and envious.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago