Porvinir - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

January 26, 2023 to January 27, 2023

Porvinir

Thursday 26th January 2023

Breakfast was supplied by the hospedaje so we arranged it for six thirty so we could get away by seven.  We didn't quite manage the targeted time but we made still it to the ferry port just after eight giving us more than enough time to buy tickets and board before tge nine o'clock departure. 

Cars boarding. Bicycles just roll on with the foot passengers. We were the only cyclists on board.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The journey takes two hours so I spent some time on the decks hoping for some pelagic birds.  The only ones that showed themselves were a few Chilean Skuas and a handful of Southern Giant Petrels.

Southern giant Petrel (Macronectes giganteus).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Tierra del Fuego.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride from the ferry port outside Porvinir to the town is only five kilometers so we were at our digs by midday.  We were both feeling pretty knackered and decided we needed a rest day to recover.   Unfortunately the hotel is fully booked tomorrow but we have managed to find a small cabaña on the other side of town that will let us check in tomorrow morning. 

Friday 27th January 2023

Still tired today but better than yesterday.   The weather looks like it is going to be horrendous all the way to Ushuaia but we have the cruise to Antarctica to look forward to so we are looking at bad weather as a means of preparing for what awaits us further south.

Afterchecking out of the hotel and checking in to the cabaña we headed down to the waterfront to do a spot of birding and to take a few photos.  This was done wearing our cycling waterproofs because all of our other warm clothing had been dropped off at a lavanderia for their first good wash in a while.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Dolphin Gull (Leucophaeus scoresbii).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelp Gull (Larus dominicanus).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chilean Skua (Stercorarius chilensis). Like all skuas they are kleptoparasites, usually harassing other birds until they regurgitate their food which the skua then steals.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chilean Skua (Stercorarius chilensis).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crested Duck (Lophonetta specularioides).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southern Crested Caracara (Caracara plancus).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leigh decided to do some alternative bird watching.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a big pot of curry cooking in the cabaña's kitchen, some of which we will freeze to eat for supper tomorrow night.  That will probably be a wildcamp somewhere between here and San Sebastian.  There are two settlements of the same name on either side of the border and, to manage the predicted winds, we might end up spending a night at both of them.  

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 6,160 km (3,825 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0