Estancia Viamonte - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

January 31, 2023

Estancia Viamonte

Our joy at knowing how to switch off the lights was short lived.   Joachim and Fernando, in true Argentinian fashion,  ate supper and prepared for bed after ten o'clock so it was after eleven o'clock when they switched off the lights.   Within a few minutes they came back on and a carabinero from the border post sternly let us know they must remain on.  After that sleep was difficult.   Juan's alarm went off at four thirty and with it our day began.

We were on the road at seven and, with the wind motly behind us, made good time to Rio Grande.  We took the bypass north of the airport to avoid the city.  At the YPF out the western side of town we stopped for a long lunch.  We had had one section of bad side wind on the bypass and for the next few kilometers after the YPF we would head straight into the wind.   But once that was done it was an easy run down to Estancia Viamonte which we reached by three o'clock.

There is a refugio there for cycle tourists.  "Ask for Tomas at the big house" we had been told.  Instead of Tomas we got Stanley.  He was just heading out to do a bit of fly fishing but took the time to take us to the refugio.

An hour and a half later, four friendly Chilean cycle tourists we had met a few kilometers outside of Rio Grande arrived.  They are on their way to Ushuaia as well, having started in Puerto Cisnes.  The refugio only has two beds and place on the floor for two more people so Tomas moved them into another building a short distance away.  They were keen to join us for coffee after supper but after last night's poor sleep  I begged for a rain check.  Tomorrow's wind is predicted to be less kind to us than today's was so we will have another early start.

Kitchen. The stove works well is very smoky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bedroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking towards the Atlantic Ocean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The four Chileanos.
Heart 1 Comment 0

  We all plan to stay at the famous Panaderia la Union in Tolhuin tomorrow night so we can get together then.

Today's ride: 120 km (75 miles)
Total: 6,423 km (3,989 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0