Short and Sweet - 12X26 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2021

Short and Sweet

Today before leaving PA we stopped for a short visit at the National Canal Museum.  The museum was certainly interesting and well worth our time but the highpoint was a ride in a canal barge powered by Hank and George for a gentle 2mph cruise along a section of the restored Lehigh Canal.

Hank and George
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our current stop is in suburban Poughkeepsie, NY where I will check out four trails that help to comprise the 750 mile Empire Trail.  The shortest of the four received my full attention shortly after we arrived.  This small section of the Empire Trail, A Walk Over the Hudson, is  slightly more than 1 mile long and 212 feet above the Hudson River.  Even on a cloudy afternoon, it offers impressive views.

An unusual trailhead sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading west on the "trail".
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view north towards Albany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking south towards NYC.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow Laura and I will head to the west side of the Hudson starting our day on A Walk Across the Hudson.   Reaching the far side, I will continue south and east with my eye on Brewster, NY.  Laura will retrace her ride back to Tony Williams Field.  We will reconnect in Brewster and cross into Connecticut for the next trail.

Today's ride: 5 miles (8 km)
Total: 209 miles (336 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0