Youth hostelling (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Youth hostelling (page 2)

Leo WoodlandTo John Egan

I sense it is only a question of time and then I will take my rightful place and rule the world.

When that day comes, I assure you, everyone will have to use paper maps - and know how to use them.

Vote for me!

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Wayne EstesTo Leo Woodland

I have vivid memories of staying at many US hostels during my earliest bike tours in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I wonder how many of them still exist. I remember big city hostels in San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Miami Beach. And town hostels in Bar Harbor, Maine and Wailuku, Hawaii and Prince Rupert, B.C. I remember charming rural hostels such as the Plum Tree hostel in the Rio Grande canyon north of Santa Fe, New Mexico. In August 1989 I stayed at the Bar Harbor, Maine hostel the last night before it closed permanently. Probably the worst hostel was in Miami Beach, Florida. Probably the best hostel was in Seattle. I also stayed at the oldest AYH hostel in the US in Bowmansville, Pennsylvania. No doubt there were other hostels  that I can't remember now. My most recent hostel stay was in Marathon, Texas in 2012.

I'm not much of a socialite, so I never really liked hostels. I generally preferred camping over hostels. No snorers or people coming and going at odd hours. Now I stay at motels. Nowadays it seems that Warm Showers has replaced hostels for budget-minded traveling cyclists.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago