Do you name your bike(s)? (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Do you name your bike(s)? (page 3)

Jacquie GaudetTo Keith Adams

Trooper, to this Vancouverite of a certain age, means the band.  But perhaps that's appropriate?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMcio5NcHUg

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

I've only ever referred to my bikes by their make or function, thus "my Miyata", "my Felt", "my mountain bike" (it's a Kona).  My new bike, though, is a Naked and it's weird to me to call it "my Naked" so her name is Maple, after the paint on her fork.  Now my other touring bike, my Co-Motion Pangea, might end up being called "the Tank" due to its weight and robustness.

Maple in Spain
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Jacquie Gaudet

That video must be restricted to users logging in from Canadian IP addresses; all I get is "Video unavailable".  Oh well.  However, the sidebar of suggested / related items has a couple other "Trooper" clips.  They're real time capsules of a time long gone.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Sorry about that!  It was really just audio for one of their hits. The weird thing is that it’s available in Canada and *not* elsewhere!  Usually it’s the other way round. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith KleinTo Keith Adams

Hi,

I’m a functionalist, afraid to say. Position doesn’t mean much when comparing different species. The genes I named were named for what they did, or how they were selected. None of these names were particularly clever, probably because I have no sense of humor and/or I am not very clever. What I see in the literature now is mostly functional names with position given secondarily. The whimsical names are largely a thing of the past, when we hadn’t yet learned how to sequence DNA, or deduce protein function from gene sequence alone. My undergrad advisor, Jim Zissler did call certain mutant bacteriophages « feckless » in print. Ah, those were the days ( says the old coot in his dotage).

Cheers,

Keith 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo Keith Adams

In this world of incredibly clever names for bikes, I'm ashamed to say that we call ours by their colors.  "The Blue Bike", "The Black Bike", "The Purple Tandem".   

The only exception is our road tandem, which came to us with a name "The Metro Tandem".  It was painted to match a 50's era Nash Metropolitan that belonged to the original owner of the tandem.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith Adams

Or Hook might be a good choice for your new Rodriguez, for obvious reasons.  Also, I see that I didn’t think to include photos of my two named partners: 

Roddy.
Rocky and the Straggler.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith Adams

(duplicate comment removed - Scott)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Keith Adams

Yes, my bikes have a name.  My 1981 Raleigh Super Course road bike (which I bought new still in the box in 2007 - long story) is called "Sir Walter" for obvious reasons.  My 2019 Fuji Tour touring bike (bought in Germany in 2019 for my use in commuting to work and weekend day-touring) is simply called "The Fuji" or sometimes "Fujiyama" (I have no explanation for that).  And I'm currently on tour with my main ride, a customized machine - Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker frame but everything else is custom.  His name is "Harvey" for 2 reasons; 1.) he's the bicycle equivalent of an RV, and 2.) because that's so corny it makes my kids shake their heads.   Harvey is infused with secret government nanotechnology that gives him high level AI, and he actually talks to me at times - but that's a different story for another day.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Keith Adams

Rachel here of Racpat... my bike is Harley...as in it's a Davidson Bike built in Seattle bought in 1992, and still the only bike I've had since then. More importantly, the Dragonfly is the "spirit" of my bike...symbol of transformation

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago