Ice Cream (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Ice Cream (page 2)

Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gregory Garceau

Frankly, I can take or leave the icecream stops when on tour (or when not on tour) but Steve, the other half of the Grampies is a sugar and pastry and icecream addict and so we often stop for a treat which he kindly gives me a small taste of.  I hope no one is unkind to you in their comments.  Dodie

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Steve Miller/Grampies

Thank you, Dodie, for starting it off with sympathetic words.  I have to believe we aren't the only "eis" heretics out there.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Steve Miller/Grampies

Oh yea!!! That's a favorite when in Oregon,

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Pete Staehling

I think we've been to Braum's and I agree that the ice cream was good. But nothing can beat Tillamook!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Pete StaehlingTo marilyn swett

The Ben & Jerry's factory in VT is a fun stop too, but I have not done that one when on tour.

Also the Penn State Creamery may just have the best ice cream I have had, but again I didn't stop there when on a bike tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Gregory Garceau

Al prefers beer over ice cream any day.  But he did enjoy the gelato in Italy once I got him started!

The best ice cream I've had outside Italy was at the Edaleen Dairy in Blaine, Washington, at the end of a day ride supported by a Vancouver bike shop in May 2018.  You got a huge amount of really good ice cream for half what you'd pay in BC. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bob KoreisTo Steve Miller/Grampies

One of the downsides of touring in Europe is that when I come home I'm disappointed with the food quality. I rarely buy ice cream at home, preferring to make my  own, following the recipes in David Lebovitz's the Perfect Scoop. But while in Italy, a gelato stop is a part of the daily routine.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Pete Staehling

We haven't made it to the factory but did stop at one of their stores in Vermont. I agree that it's pretty good too! We have a place in Denver called Bonnie Brae Ice Cream that has some great hand dipped goodness. Their chocolate Grand Marnier is to die for! Hmmm - might have to get some of that when we get home!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo marilyn swett

Breyers taste just like what we made at home back in the '50s & 60's. It can be found in the USA and Canada. Been around for about 150 years and is made using local milk and ingredients including in Canada. Of course you have to hand dip it yourself or get your partner to scoop it for you. It has been my favorite ice cream since around 1968. Taste just like homemade but now I don't have to turn the handle to get it!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Jerry Roberson

I don't think we've tried that brand but might have to! But our rule of thumb these days is to only have ice cream when we've earned it on a long bike ride. Got to watch the sugar and calories, you know!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago