Getting over Covid - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Getting over Covid

Jerry Roberson

I tested positive for COVID-19 on the day of my last post two weeks ago. With 3 lung diseases, two heart diseases, and kidney disease and a few other health issues they gave me Paxlovic for the Covid. It started working within hours. Not too mention that I am just a few months shy of 70. 

I have had three Moderna shots and was just getting ready for my 4th. I am thankful for the shots and Paxlovic. Otherwise I do believe I would have died or my journey would have been way worse. Before taking the Paxlovic I thought I was dying and was really, really miserable coughing non stop and fever, chills, no appetite, and my whole body ached. My head felt like someone hitting it with a sledge hammer. 

I have too much to live for and 3 grandkids who need me so I am thankful this old geezer is still here. Now I am hoping the feeling good/then feeling bad is done soon.  Stay safe and take care of you and your family. I went 2 1/2 years wearing a mask and staying away from groups of people. It took one short trip into the local gym for me to get infected as I took my mask off just for a few moments. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jerry Roberson

Glad you’re better, Jerry. Sorry to hear you had such a rough time until you got the Paxlovid. If/when I get it I’m going right for the Paxlovid too. 

It’s interesting how covid has started being sprinkled through the journals on here the last few weeks even though most of us are cautious. It was so great that those who were traveling were keeping the virus at bay. But now it’s so much harder to do that.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Kathleen Jones

Thanks Kathleen. I think Paxlovid is a miracle worker. I hate to think what the winter and going back to school will do this time. This stuff is so contagious and only a few of us around this area will wear a mask. It is going to be some scary times again I am afraid.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Jerry Roberson

Jerry for the past 10 days I’ve spent many hours sitting with my hospitalised 91 year old father who was admitted with a ruptured hamstring. He was healthy other than the leg injury.

Two days ago he tested positive for covid caught in hospital. He rapidly became very ill and had to go into an isolation ward. No visitors. So I came home and self isolated, fully expecting I would also succumb. I haven’t yet. 

Having seen how ill my father looked, and given his age, I was deeply concerned and expecting the worst.

However the medics immediately treated him with anti-virals and a steroid. He’s also had three covid vaccinations. 24 hours later, the medics phoned to say he’s sitting up, talking and almost back to normal. The anti virals worked and now his T-cells are mopping up the remaining viruses. Today is his 92nd birthday!  

I’m eternally grateful for modern medicine, especially vaccinations and the amazing research immunologists have contributed. My father’s resilience and resolve are also remarkable.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Graham Smith

Hi Graham. Thanks for sharing that. Glad your dad is doing better. Happy Birthday dad!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Jerry you might not be able to open this link if it’s geoblocked. Worth a listen if you can.

It’s a radio interview with a former neighbour of ours. Immunologist Prof Chris Goodnow. He sheds some extra light on covid. Complex virus. 

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/living-with-covid-aint-rosy:-2-steps-forward-more-than-3back/13977610

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Graham Smith

Damn! Now I am really worried. On January 9, 2020 I had a massive widow maker heart attack. In less than 40 minutes later I had another widow maker heart attack they said was 4 times as bad. I spent 30+ days in Cardiac ICU and lost from 216 pounds down to 152 pounds. All my organs shut down, I had double pneumonia, Staph, and my lungs filled with liquid and it looked like aluminum shavings. It took 6 months before I could dress myself or take a shower by myself. I was also put on 3 very strong antibiotics that played hell with my stomach. 

I guess I will become a hermit again and not go anywhere without my mask. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I was legally dead 3 times and they revived me. They had to put me on an artificial heart pump until they could perform the 3 way bypass. I really do not want to go through all that again. Especially since only 6% of the people who have a true widow maker as I did die instantly. My team of doctors and nurses said I was the first they knew of to survive two widow makers! I now eat nothing processed or sugar. I learned walking is way better than riding a bicycle for your heart since walking is a weight bearing exercise. Riding is a great exercise but you are still sitting on your rear. I now walk 2 to 6 miles daily. I also still ride but walking comes first. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

“I guess I will become a hermit again and not go anywhere without my mask. “

Jerry apologies for sending you information which is so sobering, and yes, perhaps scary. You certainly had a traumatic series of medical incidents. Well done recovering so well. 

I’ve known Prof Chris Goodnow for decades. He was our neighbour until he moved to Sydney to work at The Garvan Institute after a successful research career here in Canberra at the John Curtin School of Medical Research. His kids went school with our kids and so on. 

Chris is one of Australia’s leading immunologists. Hence, I really took notice when I heard this interview with him on the radio recently. And I also take notice of his main conclusions.  That is, I wear a good mask wherever it’s likely there are people with the virus, and I’m not being complacent, even though I also have had four vaccinations.
I’m not being a hermit, but I certainly avoid obviously high risk infection situations.

One piece of good news is that my 92 year old father continues to improve. The antiviral and steroids certainly worked quickly, as did his vaccinations.

The other good news is that even though I was very close to my father for a long time when he was infected in hospital  (I even helped the nurses move him), by wearing a high quality mask I seem to have avoided infection. Or if I am infected, I’m asymptomatic. So far, so good. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo Graham Smith

Graham

When I  get up in the morning I hang a P2 (N95 for American readers) mask around my neck and I am ready for the day. These masks are multi use so I don't need a new one every day.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Mike Ayling

Hi Mike, that’s an excellent habit.
I keep at least one mask hung over my handlebars ready to don if I go shopping, or into any other unavoidable closed space with poor air circulation and people comingled. 

If covid does eventually wane, I will continue to use masks. I’ve enjoyed being cold and flu free for the past few years. I’ll probably be finding masks secreted in coat and trouser pockets for years to come.

My one regret is that I didn’t use P2 masks during the prolonged, unprecedented  bushfires a few years ago. Stupidly I thought my lungs could handle the smoke. Of course they couldn’t, and I still have symptoms. Live and learn. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago