Visibility on the road (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Visibility on the road (page 2)

Rachael AndersonTo Kathleen Jones

We use the Garmin varia lights, also and love them!  We leave them on and they will flash when a vehicle moving faster than us comes from the back and also show us how close vehicles are.  We have from light and use them very rarely, mainly for dark tunnels.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PescatoreTo Wayne Estes

I'm with Bob and Wayne - when on roads rear red flasher always on, usually don't even have front light mounted unless low light conditions. Never put lights on on trails.

In all my years of cycling, mostly on roads, I've really had very few close calls and only once from in front of me and it was someone going too fast on a sharp curve - they would have never seen me anyway.

In reality, the close calls have mostly (almost exclusively) been animals, yahoos or right hooks - someone passing and braking to turn right in front of me. The blinky didn't matter. But the data shows all lights reduce accidents somewhat.

I only have about 3 years of riding on it, but I think my Varia radar taillight has been the biggest bang for the buck, albeit lots more bucks. The increased situational awareness (added to bar-end mirror) and the ability to ride further to the left on country roads for more reaction to animals scurrying out of bushes gives me proactive protection I control.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Rachael Anderson

Yes, the Varia is great. 

Which reminds me that cyclists need to be *noticeable*, not just visible. Flashing lights are the best for that. It’s probably the best thing we can do over and above hi-viz clothing. It’s unfortunate that the onus is placed upon us and not on drivers, but something happens to us when we’re behind the wheel.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo Suzanne Gibson

Suzanne wrote

In Germany bicycle lights are required on any public roads and are usually permanently installed on a new bike, not clip-on lights. Mine are powered by the e-bike battery. They don't blink, though. Of course, I could add a back blinky to the set-up.

AFAIK German regulations prohibit flashing lights which is why your ebike lights do no have a flashing mode and I suspect that Lyle and Kristin's bikes are the same.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mike Ayling

I have a flashing taillight on each of my bikes (except the mtb) and try to remember to turn it on.  Sometimes I wonder whether it's visible because, if I put it on the seat post below the little seat bag with my roadside tools, it's lower than the top of my rear wheel.  If I'm riding with a rear rack, i.e. touring, I mount the light to the rack, though the light options are very limited--most tail lights I can find are intended to be mounted on a seat post and don't fit a rack.  I'd love to have a Varia if I could figure out how to attach one to my bikes. 

As for a headlight, I only mount one when needed.  I try to remember to put my little white flasher on my road bike (and turn it on), but when touring, my handlebar bag eliminates the possibility of having one on the handlebar and there's no room below the bag.  On my Co-Motion, I have a mount on the hoop of the front rack, while on my Naked bike, I put the light on the outside drop of the handlebar.

And, while I've never used a reflective vest, I always wear a bright jersey, t-shirt, or jacket.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Jacquie Gaudet

Buried in the original Varia conversation was a link to a company that makes 3-D printed mounts. Jacinto bought one to go on his rear rack that holds both the Varia and a Cygolite brand light. It was a bit expensive, but works perfectly.

As far as visibility. The Cygolite 350 is excellent and cost effective. Frankly, it is just as visible as the much more expensive Dinotte that I also have. I run two lights at a time, in case one runs out. I've had people tell me they could see my bright lights for a far distance, and thought I was an ambulance.

We both have reflective bicycle triangles, and typically wear brightly colored shirts. This particular shirt is an extra good deal, $24. for two. Jacinto wears them all the time.

I think riding a recumbent bicycle works in my favor, it's odd looking, which is eye catching. Perhaps being a female helps. We rode with a friend last summer, who also rides a long recumbent. AD commented that he felt I was getting more courtesy on the road, because people could see my long hair. IDK if that's correct, but, I do generally feel safe while riding. Perhaps it's a combo of all of the things above.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kelly Iniguez

My Cygolite tail light is my favourite one but unfortunately it doesn’t fit on the rack on my titanium bike.  The seat post mount is broken from being crammed below the tool bag on my road bike and parts aren’t available in Canada. (You can order them from the US but the shipping cost is twice the price of the part.)  I hope to get a new mount next time I go to the US, whenever that might be. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Jacquie Gaudet

read through the Andersons’ original thread on the Varia for that link. Perhaps the shipping to Canada will be reasonable and you can get both mounts in one. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kelly Iniguez

The Varia still won’t fit on my bike, sadly. I used to hope I’d magically wake up six inches taller one day but it’s never happened. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jacquie Gaudet

The link for 3D printed mounts is shapeways.com. Different kinds of mounts made for different kinds of lights are available. Folks with 3D printers make and sell them through Shapeways. Do a search, for example, for Varia mount and you’ll get mounts for different locations on the bike - seatpost, pannier tab, rear rack, etc. Hopefully you can find one that will work for your lights and gear setup.

My Varia is hanging off my trunk bag.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago