Yellowstone NP shut down due to floods - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Yellowstone NP shut down due to floods

Karen Cook

Wow look at this!

https://sports.yahoo.com/yellowstone-closes-entrances-citing-unprecedented-174514113.html

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen Cook

Yikes!  I hope they have it open by the time you arrive.  What will you do if forced to detour? 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen Cook

Here's a link to the official NPS Current Conditions and Alerts page for Yellowstone: 

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen Cook

If your route takes you along the western and southern parts of the loop road in the park (along the TransAm) you may not be affected-- provided, of course, that you can actually enter the park when you arrive.  All entrances are currently closed to new visitors, but that may change by the time you get there.

I was able to reroute to stay on the TransAm rather than switching to Parks Peaks and Prairies, and to book the last available tent site in Grant Village CG.  I've canceled my Canyon Village CG reservation.  Now all I need is to be able to actually exit the park to the east, from Bridge Bay CG, and I'm all set.

Thanks for the alert and I hope you're not adversely affected.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Keith Adams

watch the second video, not the first one. This looks terrible. There's not going to be any travel through Yellowstone along that area for an extended time.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly Iniguez

I counted at least six complete washouts and roadway destructions in the video.  I agree, this is an event that changes the landscape possibly for several years.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

And now I see the entire Park has been closed and all visitors evacuated, for the indefinite future ("indefinite" being the operative term here...)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Keith Adams

are you watching the Great Divide racers? I wonder how this will change their route. They already have a huge reroute in Nee Mexico because of the fire there. It’s been quite a cliffhanger, with ten riders evacuated between Banff and Fernie because of hypothermia in the heavy snow/rain. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

"...are you watching the Great Divide racers? "

I confess, I am not.  In fact I not only wasn't aware there was such a thing as the Great Divide Race, I didn't know when it takes place or that it is televised, at any level.  Further admitting my ignorance I don't have any clue as to what television / sports network carries the coverage I don't know about.

I just don't know much about much, I guess.  :)

I will also miss seeing any part of this year's Race Across America (RAAM) because I'm leaving town on the morning of the day that the earliest arrivals might be expected, late in the afternoon or evening.  I generally have a front-row seat at Time Station 51 (a.k.a Mt Airy Bike in Mount Airy, MD about 20 miles from my house) which is not only an official time station checkpoint that the riders must pass, it's also the "penalty box" where riders must serve their final time penalties, if any, before the finish line in Annapolis.  In years past we've seen everything from low comedy to high drama unfold but this year I'll miss it.  

Ah well.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Karen CookTo Keith Adams

I have been following the Trans Am Bike race.  The riders who didn’t make it through Yellowstone in time have been re routed.  See link below…

http://trackleaders.com/transam22

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago