Paging John Pickett... Paging John Pickett (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Paging John Pickett... Paging John Pickett (page 2)

Keith AdamsTo Henry Dalton

That's a truly awesome campsite!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Keith Adams

Great thread. This was my big worry about doing Part II of the TransAm this year.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo John Pickett

John-

When are you going, between where and where else, and in which direction?  It'd be cool if we managed to link up; it'd be my pleasure to share my Yellowstone campsite reservations with you if it can be managed.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Leaving from eastern MO to Colorado Springs on 5/22. Katy Trail to southern Nebrska then down to CS. (May change as southern Nebraska looks pretty lame.

Meeting two guys who I met on my ride from IN to SF in 2019. We did a segment of the Transam from western MO to Pueblo CO together. They abandoned their effort in the high Rockies west of CS. I'll join them for the rest of the way to the Pacific. 

I imagine I'll be there in 2 months or so. Will try to allow for much more rest days than in the past owing to physical problems and altitude acclimation. (Them big climbs in the Rockies can kill you if you don't acclimate.) 

So I doubt we'll cross paths. I'll keep an eye on you. I'll be posting nightly on Rootchopper.com (will make it a Cycleblaze journal when I get home.)

Cheers

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo John Pickett

We may yet cross paths, my friend.  I'm on the TransAm for my first three weeks, so depending on your rate of progress it might happen if you do indeed take the full two months you're thinking about.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Keith Adams

So you'll solo as far as CO Springs then link up with your friends to the Pacific?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

That's the plan. Like you, I have alternate routes in mind. Particularly important since the Katy can flood in the spring and, based on my 2019 experience, much of the Missouri and eastern Kansas part of my route are subject to severe weather and flooding. I'll figure it out.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

That's the plan. Like you, I have alternate routes in mind. Particularly important since the Katy can flood in the spring and, based on my 2019 experience, much of the Missouri and eastern Kansas part of my route are subject to severe weather and flooding. I'll figure it out.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo John Pickett

I'll be bringing a few extra ACA maps from my 2019 trip just in case.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo John Pickett

I'll be bringing a few extra ACA maps from my 2019 trip just in case.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago