A silly comment about spelling (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

A silly comment about spelling (page 3)

George HallTo Wayne Estes

But even the word "bar" could have different meanings.  For instance, on my Transam ride in 2015 I used the term BAR to refer to Bicycle Altitude Record.

Small Towns in Wyoming Supported the Bicycle Altitude Record (BAR) Concept
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo George Hall

Bicycle Altitude Records can be both high and low.

Bombay Beach, California. 223 feet below sea level.

Ski Inn Bar was an easy to spell lunch spot. Hemisfere is slightly more difficult. ;-)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Leo WoodlandTo Karen Cook

Never mind the spelling. You Americans should come to terms with a frown being what the rest of the world thinks it is and not what you think. And to table a motion means to put it down for discussion, not to remove it from the agenda.

How the rest of the world sighs in weary amusement when it sees you get things so wrong... :-)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo Leo Woodland

Hi Leo

Meaning of To table a motion

Just another instance where the people in the land of the free and home of the brave differ from TROTW.

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Leo Woodland

I’ve always wondered why the meaning of tabling something didn’t seem to mean what I thought it should.  Being in Canada, we are between two (sometimes opposing) worlds, language-wise.  I never investigated, preferring to just avoid formal meetings.  But the usage that really bothered me is when people “motion” things in those meetings.

Riding a bike is much better than sitting in meetings!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Bless the Beebs for casting a sane light on this subject:

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p09fv1w9/why-us-english-is-a-history-lesson-for-the-british

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Leo Woodland

You Americans should come to terms with a frown being what the rest of the world thinks it is and not what you think.

Leo, I think a frown means disapproval. That's what most dictionaries say. Is that a uniquely American meaning? Does the expression mean something different in other places, such as confusion or listening carefully?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Now I understand. You are referring to the appearance of a frown, not so much the message of a frown.

What a Frown Means

"A wrinkling of the brow in displeasure" or "downward facing mouth expressing sadness". Thanks for educating me.

I find it nearly impossible to do one without the other. To me it's all one expression.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Surely every language and culture has common phrases that are literal nonsense.

My favorites in US English are:

"The alarm goes off at 7 AM" means that the alarm goes ON at 7 AM.
"A near miss" means you nearly hit something.
Oxymorons such as "awfully good" and "jumbo shrimp".

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo Jacquie Gaudet

Hi Jacquie

Are you saying that people in your neck of the woods are using the noun "motion"as a verb?

When I was a young bloke I was a member of Jaycees/Junior Chamber and they were big on the Parliamentary Procedure stuff. So

The motion is that  "Riding a bike is much better than sitting in meetings!"

and I so move.

Cheers

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago