2022 plans (page 8) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

2022 plans (page 8)

Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Wayne Estes

Wow, this forum topic has seven pages of just everyone talking about where they are planning to go, after a couple of years for disruption. Nary a mention of COVID or OMICRON (or the next one - PI?).  There have been two major schools of thought out there. One holds that COVID is probably a hoax, and if not and we catch it, we can probably drink bleach or Ivermectin, or something. The other (probably 99% of cycle tourers) have taken the threat seriously, gotten vaxxed and boosted, generally hidden under their beds, and not really cycled for two years. But now (as eloquently set out by the Youtube doctor ZDoggMD this latter group has split into those who are staying under their beds, and those whose motto will be "Vax and Chill".

Under "Vax and Chill", you take all the reasonable precautions, but then you get on with it. This was our approach when in the Fall we went first  on a small trip to the Cathedral Grove here on Vancouver Island, and then to Yucatan.  Our plan had been to come back from Yucatan and head for Spain. But frankly, even had Dodie not crashed her bike, Omicron would have shot Spain down, bouncing us back into the "under the bed" group.

Now, we are predicting that in time for Dodie's injuries to heal, Omicron will burn itself out mostly, and we will be allowed into Europe. And if Europe is into it, we are into it!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Brent IrvineTo Steve Miller/Grampies

i am somewhere in the vaxx-and-chill with lingering paranoias. If things substantially subside Europe looks good, yet if vaxx-and-hide wins out, I'm all for driving my car to and from a more local tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Brent Irvine

Yes, in vaxx and hide Dodie is talking about cycling across Canada again. But how are you going to keep them down on Vancouver -> Montreal after they've seen Paris -> Munich!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Patty Louise
2022 - The Year Of Making Up For Time Lost

AMEN to that.  Not merely time lost to the pandemic, but to life in general as a working stiff.  I turned 60 last autumn, a month after I retired.  Now it's time to experience all that I deferred.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Robert EwingTo Wayne Estes

In North America, the Oregon Coast has to be close to first place as cycle touring’s Shangri la. The sheer number of riders from all over the globe puts it up near the front. The coastline scenery is spectacular. The hiker/biker campsite conversations and international comradery give some hope for humanity in troubled times. I’ve ridden all or part of the coast five times over a span of nearly sixty years. Over the decades the people and economies have changed greatly but the majestic coast itself, very little.

I had planned for the last two years a sixth ride down the Oregon Coast emphasizing the Coast Mountain Range more than the Pacific Ocean, but Oregon, particularly rural coastal Oregon, slipped back into the covid red zone and I called it off. So this cycling pilgrimage had to wait. If all lights turn green a post Labor Day ride is planned. I bought a “gravel bike” so this would be something like a gravel tour.

Note: Did you know there are NF roads that bypass around both Highway 101 tunnels?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Patty LouiseTo Keith Adams

60 is on the horizon for me in March, so I share you view that time is now to do things. The list of places grows and standing still the past couple of years has been frustrating.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Wayne Estes

(edited)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John EganTo Jeff Lee

Yes, to be a salmon or a leaf - is a choice.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John EganTo Keith Adams

Keith - 

I live in Wyoming and have cycled the Black Hills since 1987.
A couple of things stand out - 
Every road and cow path is filled with Harleys during the rally.
Loud Harleys. On top of the usual zillion tourists.

I note that your route bypasses Mount Rushmore.
I am not a Rushmore fan for many reason, one being that it is mobbed.
But I also note that you are choosing to do the Needles Highway.
It is verrry narrow - not really two lanes in many places - 
And very steep - 8% to 10% grades - with heavy sumer traffic.
Even though signs say no large vehicles - they are ignored.

An alternative is to take the back road Old Hill City Rd. to Keystone
Then Highway 40 east from there.
Spring Creek Rd. - connecting Hwy 40 & Hwy 44 - is unpaved.
Or was the last time I was thru - and pretty darn tough.
Sandy, dusty, and no shade or water for miles.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo John Egan

Thanks John.  I'm really struggling with what to do about that week.  I'll be on the Mickelson Trail for part of it, which at least insulates me from the Hardly Ableson crowd for some period of time, but I'll have to emerge from that shelter at some point.

Yes I am skipping Mt. Rushmore: been there, seen that, don't need to do it again.

I put The Needles on my route at the suggestion of another member (Henry Dalton; see our conversation on page 5 of this thread) but I'm not married to it.  That whole stretch may be an exercise in impromptitude: what opportunities will present themselves, and will I recognize them?  Can I find places that are so small and out-of-the-way that the fringed leather vest and metal studded wrist braces crowd have not overwhelmed them?

My original plan, replaced by the addition of The Needles Highway, took me through Keystone.  I may return to the original idea.  Some of my options will be dictated by the weather: both you and Henry talk about unpaved roads becoming impassable sloughs of mud in the rain.  If it has rained recently, or looks to rain as I am passing through, I'll have to be prepared to stick to hard-surfaced roads regardless of who I have to share them with.

Thanks for the alerts.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago