2022 plans (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

2022 plans (page 2)

Jeff LeeTo Wayne Estes

At this point in my touring "career", I seem to have become allergic to planning of any kind. 

I do have the vague idea that I might ride from our house in Western Kentucky and head west or southwest. I haven't toured (or even ridden at all) in Arkansas, so maybe I'll ride across the state, and then head into Oklahoma, another state where I haven't ridden.

Maybe I'll keep going west until I get tired of it, or work pressures become too great (I work for myself, so while I don't have a boss, I do have customers.)

I have a low-traffic route from Texas all the way to the southern California coast that John Egan created for me, but which I haven't tried yet. Maybe I'll do some of that, too.

For sure I won't set a final destination and arrange transportation home ahead of time. I think my days of planning (and announcing ahead of time) a long bike tour are probably over. I like just letting things happen now, and enjoying  whatever hopefully serendipitous events unfold.

It helps having a wife who is willing to put up with my way of doing these things. Most of the time, anyway :)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Keith Adams

Keith when you get to the Idaho border, consider dropping down through Boise and stay with us (Racpat in Warmshowers) 

We've ridden twice from Missoula back home to Boise and there are 3 ways to get to Missoula.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago

Oh my, Rachel here. I'm an Illinois gal and I lived 5 years in Carbondale! Also attended SIU and worked in the library on a second BS in teaching but didn't finish (decided I didn't like the classroom, though love teaching)

Katy trail is great, we also included that in our last tour from NOLA to back home in Boise.

Rachel

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago

What is the Bike Surgeon?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jeff LeeTo Keith Adams

Hey Keith,

We live in Henderson, KY, on the Underground Railroad Route. We're on Warmshowers, and host a few tourists each year. Let me know when you're riding through, if you need a place to stay.

I was especially interested in your route because it goes through the area of Northeast Kentucky where I grew up, lived most of my life, and still visit frequently: Maysville, and the surrounding counties

I've ridden virtually every road in that region, multiple times. Your route looks good, but unfortunately Taylor Mill Road, which your route has you taking as you climb out of downtown Maysville, is now permanently closed. A friend and I were likely the last cyclists who rode it, in fact. We had to climb over a gate that now blocks it. The road itself is probably plowed under by now. Too bad - it was a great single-lane Kentucky paved lane.

No big deal, though - you can just ride up the shoulder of Highway 11, and then get on Stonelick Road.

I'll be extremely interested to read about your experience riding from Portsmouth to Pittsburgh. I've contemplated doing that in the past myself, but haven't gotten around to it.

Jeff

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Bob Distelberg
Bob said:
3) Lastly, I've really enjoyed the journals of all the Cycleblazers who have done the GAP and/or C&O trail, so the idea of doing that has intrigued me for awhile. 

If these are still on your bucket list in late September, and assuming I've actually made it that far, we could possibly cover these together as I wrap up my tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Hi-

Thanks!  I'm definitely interested.  My timeline predicts an arrival in Missoula - from Lochsa Lodge in the Lolo MT area - on/about 16 July.  How could it be that you'd actually be home on that date?  :)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

If there were a way to insert a thumbs-up emoji, I would!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Wayne Estes

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year, and looks like many nice rides in the future and journals to read. Our plan for 2022 is starting June 1st in Antelope Wells cycling northbound on the Great Divide Trail to Jaspar. In Spring, we will probably try to do a ride for "training" and equipment testing, somewhere here in the Northwest.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago