First CB Journal Posted!! (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

First CB Journal Posted!! (page 3)

John PescatoreTo Mike Jamison

Thread rescue:

Somewhere on CB was a thread about getting music stuck in your head on rides - "ear worms."

When I was a freshman in college, I went to a party in an adjacent dorm where towards the end of the night the guy controlling the music (probably with two turntables) started switching between Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" and Frank Zappa's "Dinah-Moe Humm." Over and over.

The lyrics of neither are appropriate for a family site like Cycleblaze or for singing along as you bike on public roads and paths but I was on a bike trip somewhere and saw a sign that said something like "Exotic flora and fauna ahead." Immediately, "Do you wanna, Fauna" and "Kiss my Aura, Dora" popped into my head and much of the lyrics to Dinah-Moe Humm just came flooding back.

That was a tough ear worm to dislodge - not even "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round" could do it. Amazing how little of my classes in college I can remember, but those lyrics stayed in there.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Mike Jamison

I think all three of us can agree (now four of us) that Frank Zappa was a genius.

Sincerely, 

"Greggery Peccary, the nocturnal gregarious wild swine" Garceau.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rich FrasierTo Gregory Garceau

Umm, make it 5.  Can I join the club?  My kids learned the line « watch out where the huskies go » at a tender young age.  Luckily for them that was all I passed on to them.

We return you now to our regularly scheduled bike touring program…

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Rich Frasier

Truly, I have found my Tribe. This must actually be St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast disguised as CycleBlaze.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterTo Mike Jamison

“Saint Alfonso’s Bed and Breakfast and homemade pancakes” in Feuillade might be an appropriate stop for any cult members cycle touring in France. And yes, it was named to honor FZ

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rich FrasierTo Susan Carpenter

Yet another place to visit based on Susan’s travels.  Only 4.5 hours from home!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Susan Carpenter

Found them on the internet and bookmarked! One more bucket list box needing to be checked. Thanks for the heads up!!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Mike Jamison

OMG, step away from the internet for a few days and there’s just so much to respond to (even vegetables ).

Mike, your comment about there being a cycle touring obsessed FZ forum somewhere in the universe looks like it’s causing this one to expand, as it should.

Susan, the Perigord region has never been on my radar for a tour. Now it is. Haven’t made reservations at the BnB yet, but when we do I’ll get Kirsten to change her name to Magdalene and we’ll bring our own maple syrup (she lived in Montreal so can claim some authenticity, unfortunately I didn’t).

And John, possibly creepy confession… way back when Kirsten and I were at our daughter’s second grade parent teacher interview with Ms. Dora F., I was whispering certain lyrics into Kirsten’s ear throughout the interview testing if she could keep her composure and a straight face. She passed … and to her credit laughed about it afterwards. I’m a lucky guy to have gotten away with that!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago