First CB Journal Posted!! (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

First CB Journal Posted!! (page 2)

Mike JamisonTo Mike Jamison

Morning All! Replying to myself in hope that you all see this thanks to you all for the kind welcome. I appreciate it so much. Andrea Brown, love the lyric you shared, and even more so the sentiment it represents. Lyle McLeod, any Frank Zappa fan is a friend of mine! Just think of the amazing music Frank would have been writing now if he hadn't passed away so young. Have you watched the recent documentary about him? I thought it was pretty well done, and loved the interviews of folks who performed in his band(s) over the years. Grampies, Having admired your writing on the other site for so many years, it's nice to be welcomed by you here. Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was a good one! As for me, another cup of coffee, and then off to walk the dogs.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Mike Jamison

Mike, FWIW, I too have received an email from the "other" site administrator saying that he was tired of my "sly" references to him as the "other site."  So apparently he reads all the forum posts here.  Interesting that he thinks you turned against him when it was he that purged you from the other site.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your journals here, glad to hear that your enthusiasm has been rekindled. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Mike Jamison

I just published the last of 28 journals originally created on the other web site. 24 were imported by the administrators and 4 were manually re-created by me.

All the old journals are here except for my 2011 Tour de Cascadia journal which I somehow neglected to download in the confusion. I have the photos and a paper journal, and could manually re-create that journal with sufficient motivation.

The imported journals transferred with few errors. The last one had the most issues to fix. One missing photo, a lot of missing text that seemed to be caused by unusual formatting. I carefully browsed every page looking for missing photos or text. Mainly I just removed hyperlinks to other web sites. And of course I had to create the embedded route maps. That was easy for me because I have only one map for each tour.

The project took about a year from start to finish. Thanks to Jeff Arnim and others for doing most of the work.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Mike Jamison

Hi Mike, we too were deleted from that other site, our journal being 37 out of all the journals (So with Scott on liking the likes). We are very happy to be here on cycleblaze, such a different feel and helpfulness, and building the site to be a great resource for other cyclists. We have and will continue to shift our support and donations to cycleblaze.

And also, self promoting, our 2015-17 Racpat RTW journal is now here on cycleblaze. Working on getting the 2006-07 Bali to Boise uploaded as well.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Mike Jamison

Mike, I generally live under a rock when it comes to new media. However your note about a new FZ doc caused me to crawl out into the daylight and look for it. Just watched the YouTube trailer …. I’m stoked! TV’s going to dusted off and I know what I’m doing on Sunday night! Trailer finishes as Frank launches into the guitar solo on Cosmic Debris …. I’ve got a major ear worm for the next few days!! 

Oh yeah, cycle touring forum. Sorry for the off ramp folks, but most people here have their individual peculiarities (aside from riding heavy bikes over very long distances for days on end) that are allowed to be indulged from time to time. This is one of them 🙏.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Lyle McLeod

"Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?" 

You're gonna love that documentary Lyle. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Mike Jamison

I can assure you that zircon encrusted tweezers are an essential piece of my cycle touring gear.  Lonely dental floss too.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Mike Jamison

...credit fade away to 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' ... his most beautiful composition IMHO. 

Perfect

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Gregory Garceau

Do three people define a cult?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Lyle McLeod

Somewhere in the universe is a Frank Zappa forum with three guys who talk about nothing but bike touring ; - )

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago