Journal Import - My Experience (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Journal Import - My Experience (page 3)

Scott AndersonTo Suzanne Gibson

Maybe in Germany?  I just checked our own subscription and we’re using the free version.  We did have a paid subscription in the past but it expired over a year ago.  Maybe we’re still getting premium benefits even though we quit paying over a year ago?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Scott Anderson

So, I have a premium account, and I don't see anything about creating events. I can do Collections, but that doesn't do what you want as far as creating an embed-able map that has multiple routes. A little bit of googling seems to indicate that Events are limited to RidewithGPS Tour accounts. Is it possible that's the kind of account you have Scott?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob Distelberg

No, we definitely only have the free account - unless RWGPS screwed up and left our premium features in place after our subscription expired a year ago.  Here’s our subscription page: 

So it’s not that.  Maybe it’s a navigation issue and I haven’t explained clearly how to get to the Events block.  Starting from this display:

I click on the bicycle icon and the upper left and get this view, with the events block on the lower right.  Does this work for you?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mark BoydTo George Hall

Your post, and some of the post that followed it, have inspired me to start re-posting my own most recent tour journal from that other site. That tour in 2019 on which  I developed serious back problems which led me to abandon the tour after a little over a month. I've now put up the first 10 pages which have taken me about half an hour a page. I'll try to get the rest of it  - 25 more pages -up  in the next few days. I have roughly 20 more long(er) journals there and another 25  on my own web pages - at 

http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html 

from before I retired and started using crazyguy.  Most of those journals are from 3 month long summer tours which have 50  to 80 pages. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Scott Anderson

So for me, if I click on that "find events" link in that box, it takes me to a screen where I can see and search for events in my area, but there's no option to create an event. But, I found if I go to my Calendar by clicking the "Calendar" link on the left, there is a link on the top left of the Calendar page to create events. I was then able to use that to create an event, add routes, get a map including them all, etc, just as you described. 

Note that once I've created one event, if I go back to the dashboard that link in the events box says "view events" rather than "find events". And if I click on it, it actually takes me to my calendar, but underneath the calendar is any events I created. 

So it all works. Just had to get there a different way.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob Distelberg

Well, good.  It’s been so long since we created our first event that I don’t remember how we went about it then.  It’s odd about that calendar though - when I click on View Events it positions me at the top of the event list.  The calendar is up above if I scroll up to it, but I’ve never seen it and didn’t know it was there before.  I wonder if the app doesn’t behave differently on different devices.  It also works quite different if you rotate the device 90 degrees.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Mark Boyd

Mark - I stand in awe of you and others on this site who have done and documented so many tours.  My 1st long self-supported tour was in 2015 when I was 62, so I guess I started a bit late.   Occasionally I start thinking that I've got some touring cred cause even though I've only got 3 serious tours under my belt I went coast-to-coast on 2 of them - but then I discover that I'm still a novice compared to you and Kelly and Wayne and so many others!   Please do import as many of your journals as you can here so we can all enjoy them.    BTW, I am suffering from a serious back issue now that has had me grounded from cycling for a month - apparently I have a pinched nerve in my lower back - hopefully that will get fixed soon cause I plan to tour next spring.  

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo George Hall

George, your advice worked like a charm. I was able to grab the maps created in the other web site as GPX files, and upload them to RWGPS, where they were good to go as "imbeddable" files. Strava was less able to manage that at first glance. I could upload them as "routes" (versus activities) but did not see a way to then imbed them elsewhere. Anyway, things look good to go and thanks again for the tips! There is a blackly humorous sideshow story to this event as well, but i think I'll share that later when I start making old journals viewable here. Stand by everyone.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott Anderson

Thanks for your trouble, Scott. But same as with Bob D., my screen doesn't show a box with events. But if I go to the calendar as Bob did, I can create an event and add routes to it. Although Bob has Premium, it seems to work for free accounts as well.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bob Distelberg

Thanks, Bob, that was a big help. I don't have premium, but by going to the calendar I was able to create and event with multiple routes, as well.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago