Riding smarter - concessions to aging. (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Riding smarter - concessions to aging. (page 2)

Mike AylingTo Kathleen Jones

Kathleen

It is on my horizon but I am holding out as long as possible. The plan is to obtain a pre-loved Bike Friday (I forsee the need for the low step through at some future time) then install a mid motor.  Steve, Dodies partner suggested that the mid motor would make the BF difficult to fold but I have no need for a folder, just a low step through bike. Unfortunately  very few Bike Fridays are coming onto the market in Melbourne Australia.

I do notice in various journals reports of batteries running out of charge but battery technology seems to get better by the day.

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Mike Ayling

Mike I’m a Bike Friday owner and fan, but only because of their ride quality and folding function for use in multi-modal travel. If I knew 10 years ago what I know now, I’d probably have opted for a custom made Mini Velo (20” wheels) instead of a BF. Light steel or Ti. It’d be a lot lighter and if built to the same geometry and gearing, would have the same ride quality. And be almost as easy to transport on trains, buses and plains. 

So if you do go ahead with the mid motor idea, perhaps also look at what’s available in the Mini Velo category of bikes. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John PescatoreTo Graham Smith

I'm 64 and actually in better bicycling shape than when I was in my 30s and 40s, but the engine and transmission is still older.

There are two things I've changed:

• In planning mileage, I estimate a lower average MPH than I used to achieve, especially on hilly routes. I've now been uploading to Strava for 5 years and the data doesn't lie: while my weight hasn't changed and my bike has actually  gotten lighter, my climbing speed is slowly declining.
  • I eat a lot healthier when on long rides or multi-day trips. I used to pretty much consider any tour, or even a day ride longer than 50 miles, a free pass for eating cheeseburgers, pizza, fries, donuts, muffins, etc. 

Now I stick to healthier breakfasts and on-bike snacks (I'm a big fan of SANS meal bars) and smaller lunches. Two exceptions: I've decided that the calories from chocolate chip cookies, apple pie and/or ice cream for dessert at dinner just bounce off me anytime I have ridden more than 50 miles...

In recent years I've only been doing 3-5 day tours at the longest, so haven't really hit the rest day issue. But, with the two concessions above I'm able to do 2 long, hard  days in a row and not really feel any repercussions on the third day - which wasn't the case years ago!

Since I'm a credit card style tourist, I think one other accommodation is I'm willing to pay a bit more per night for a comfortable place to sleep for the night.  I don't even look at the hostel-style places anymore, and have even reached the point where if I can't see a picture of what the bed will look like, I scroll on...

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Kelly Iniguez

This was an interesting question, Kelly and I  agree with the comments everyone else have made. 

As Don and I have aged, we have adapted our touring to be more comfortable for us. Shorter days, easier routes etc.  Riding a tandem is a little harder than on a single. For example we have only one bike to carry clothing/camping gear/food/water for 2 people. So over the years we've gotten better and better at our packing, even having room to brings dance clothes! We still camp but intersperse stays in hotels/motels along with Warm Shower hosts. 

One thing I would add is to make sure you're drinking electrolytes along with your water. Watching my salt intake is crucial for me.

Also, while we've enjoyed 'second breakfast' stops, we do much better when eating  lighter meals/snacks with higher protein. (we like Quest protein bars) I used to love those giant pancakes for breakfast along with burgers and fries for lunch, but no more as they give me no energy and make me feel drowsy and sluggish. 

So feel good about still getting out there on the road! I so admire those that are still touring in their 70's and 80's, no  matter how they do it! I hope we can still enjoy touring for many more years.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly Iniguez

An afterthought to my earlier response, that occurred to me while carrying our bikes up a couple flights of stairs to our apartment this evening.  We’ve been on the road for nearly five months on this tour, and I’m probably averaging more than six days per week on the bike.  I feel great, better than when I left home - stronger, fitter, and my knees are noticeably better than when we started the tour.

My reading of this is the that as an older person there’s a lot of value in getting in as much regular riding as you can, all year around.  Gone are the days when I could more or less take the winter off and pick up in the spring.  A good argument for selling your home and being a migrant, really.  Go to Tucson in the winter, and north in the summer.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott Anderson

Scott - You are playing my song! I'm spending a total of seven weeks in Tucson this winter - Thanksgiving,  home, Christmas, home, and then February in Tucson. We shall see if I become bored, or if Tucson's a thing.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo John Pescatore

John,

I am nodding my head in agreement, especially about the being pickier about lodging part! We went from camping to being happy with anything clean that had a roof. Now I not only want a nice room, but I'd like a sofa or comfortable chair to sit on in the evening. Too many nights sitting in a bed and my back hurts. One friend prefers Best Westerns as they have guest laundry machines. Pete refuses to wash his clothes in the sink, he puts one set of clothes in the washer each evening!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly Iniguez

I quit camping 8 years ago at age 52 because I just couldn't get enough rest when camping. My tolerance for cold nights was decreasing steadily. At first I was budget-conscious about lodging, but now I'm more selective. I like a good location close to sights and services. I like quiet neighbors, a hot breakfast, and air conditioning. My tour routes frequently have overnights in small towns that have only one lodging place. I have to stay there no matter if it's a deluxe riverside resort or a rustic and neglected cabin.

Until about age 45 I felt stronger at the end of a tour than at the beginning of a tour. Now I get gradually weaker during tours.

Until age 50 I could tour for a month with no rest days. Now I need a rest day every 4th or 5th day. 1-2 month tours used to be routine. Now it's 1-2 weeks.

I look back at journals from 10-20 years ago and am astounded at the daily distances and climbing. Now my daily goals are more modest and  I have to avoid some appealing routes that have too much climbing or no lodging.

Even before I quit camping I was gradually eating in more restaurants. I prefer to have lunch and dinner at a restaurant, but during tours about half of the days have no restaurant for lunch. I'm slow enough that a high calorie breakfast or lunch doesn't bother me.

Shorter days and more rest days combine to give me more time to do tourist stuff than I had 20 years ago. I plan my routes to have interesting off-bike activities. I try to schedule rest days in places that have something interesting to see and do nearby. Unfortunately, when the terrain is very difficult, my rest days are mostly filled with resting and napping.

I try to know my limits and do tours that push me close to my limits, but not beyond my limits. So far I am still able to find appealing bike touring routes that are within my abilities, with available lodging. I'm 60 now and hope to tour until I'm 70 before using an e-bike.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly, I just wanted to say you are doing really great!  You’ve been doing challenging rides and putting in a lot of miles.  I’ve noticed after being constantly on the road all the time my body is starting to rebel so I’m doing easier rides and more hiking but getting our virtually everyday doing biking or hiking because it makes me feel better physically and mentally.  What I’ve tried to stop doing is comparing myself now with other cyclists and to my younger self.  There is always going to be someone stronger than you but vastly more people that aren’t.  

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mark BoydTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly, thanks for starting this interesting, at least to us old folks ;-}, thread.

One of the things I've learned from the other folks who have replied to it is that I have been lucky in my body's aging. I really had not noticed the effects of aging on my body until the summer tour after I retired at 65. 

"The riding was very hilly today, with many long hills and not much flat riding. After 43 km, I decided riding with Laam wasn't going work for me. Keeping up with him in those hill was turning my tour into an endurance contest and I was not enjoying it. I could have kept up when I was 55 - Laam's age - but at 65, I wasn't up to it."
from Mark Boyd's European Tour11  on crazyguy  day48     Friday July 1, 2011

I noticed that I had to push really hard to keep up with Laam. He wasn't riding any faster - 20 kph - than I normally would and I had actually met him after I caught up with him on flat land the day before, but, when the riding got hilly, I was having to push near my limits just to keep up. He was on a tight schedule so we parted company and touring became fun again for me!

Since then, I've noticed a slow but steady decline in my speed and, starting a few years ago, my endurance. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago