Your Favorite Continent For Bicycle Touring, and WHY (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Your Favorite Continent For Bicycle Touring, and WHY (page 3)

Wayne EstesTo Mike Ayling

I wonder what portion of expedition-type bicycle travelers purchase travel insurance?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo Wayne Estes

Hi Wayne

I agree, many of them would have tight budgets, it is usually those who are are not financially challenged who have it.

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Keith KleinTo Gregory Garceau

Hi Greg,

Europe, from a sample of two continents. North America is mostly fine, but there are places I would avoid. I’ve been accosted by both civilians and cops for riding my bike on a public road, both of these incidents near the twin cities. Neither has happened in Europe. Add to that the changes of language and culture that one can experience here, and the choice is easy. Heck, on a clear day I can see Switzerland from my house near Dijon. I speak multiple languages at least well enough to find a hotel or a campground and order a meal in a restaurant but even where I don’t speak the local tongue I manage . (Leo Woodland challenged me to learn Finnish. Moi ((to rhyme with boy)) Leo if you’re reading.)

I would love to tour in South America, but I’m getting on in years and twelve hour plane rides are not very enticing. Ditto for Asia . So if my health permits it I’ll continue my European adventures.

Cheers,

Keith 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Keith Klein

Hi Keith,

I also have experienced the classic "GET OFF THE ROAD" scream from motorists from the safety of their cars.  It had been a few years though . . . until just two weeks ago when an obviously drunk guy yelled at me in downtown Hastings.  That was at about 9:00 a.m.

I've been pulled over by the cops while on my bike a couple times too.  Once when I powered over a big hill on my mountain bike and raced across a four lane highway right in front of a police car.  The other time was also my fault when I rode up Highway 61 after it turned into a limited access highway.  Okay, those were my fault, but idiotic motorists yelling at me?  Well there is no excuse for that.

Europe, here I come.  (Some day)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Gregory Garceau

Greg, this is hard to believe, but highway 61 south of the Twin Cities is the first place I was stopped by police while cycling. Same place, same reason. The highway unexpectedly turned into an expressway with bikes prohibited, and no other road between the river and the cliffs. Another cyclist and I didn't want to backtrack, so we tried to get to the next exit.

We were stopped by a state trooper, officer Gunderson. He demanded that we turn around and bike back to the entrance we got on, including biking up a narrow entrance ramp in the wrong direction. We argued that following his instructions would be more dangerous than biking in the proper direction to the exit ramp that we could see ahead. Officer Gunderson got his way. I guess that's why I still remember his name 32 years later.

I also remember that the officer said he would have given us citations if we didn't both have out of state drivers licenses. And maybe because my partner was 66 years old with white hair. I was 28 at the time.

The only other time I was stopped by police was 2 years ago in Taos Pueblo. I biked there in 1988 but now pedestrians and cyclists are banned in the reservation.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Wayne Estes

Wayne, that is an amazing coincidence.  Just to add to the amazing coincidence-ness, I was also stopped by a State Trooper who made me go back to the last exit on the wrong side of Highway 61.  Maybe you and me are the same person.  But really, I don't know the officer's name and my encounter would have been in June of 2006 -- much later than your encounter, I'm guessing.  I remember the month because I was training for my first RAGBRAI.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Karen CookTo Gregory Garceau

I was doing a little 3 day trip, and outside Sacramento a cop stopped me to ask about my trip!  In fact he stopped way up the road and I thought ("damn what now") and before I rolled to a stop he said, "Don't worry you didn't do anything wrong, I am just interested in bike touring..."

Weird, huh!?

But I have had more than my share of non-cop idiots yell at me.

So yes, I am thinking about Europe next year too!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Karen Cook

Yes, VERY weird.

Actually, I must admit that I've definitely had more positive cyclist-police encounters than negative ones.   One time I stopped at a police station to ask where the public library was and an officer came out and led me around the corner of the building to exactly where I wanted to go.   I think that was somewhere in Illinois. 

Near Leominster, MA,  I asked a traffic cop to direct me to the nearest motel.  He did so,  but it was in such a thick Boston accent I could hardly understand him.  Even so, I appreciated the effort.  And in little Iowa Falls, IA I had a ridiculously hard time trying to find my way around traffic construction that involved a closed bridge.  I waved down a cop car and the dude inside was a very friendly cop who helped me out. 

Another memorable police encounter was when I ripped open my shoulder in the town of Wickenburg, AZ.  After I rode my bike to the emergency room, and after I had been questioned by the staff about what happened, a cop showed up a little later.  I think the nurses at the emergency room called him in to investigate whether I was a victim of a crime.   The cop asked a couple questions, which I answered truthfully, and apparently he believed me because he just walked away, as if this visit to the hospital was a waste of his time.

I've had a few other encounters while touring and while day-riding, but none of them were as cool as yours. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory Garceau

Please quit reminding me of the time you ripped open your shoulder in Wickenburg, Greg.  It turns my stomach every time I think of it.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott Anderson

Scott,

The gash in my shoulder was no more stomach-turning than your dog bite.  Plus, my wound wasn't still oozing blood six months later.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago