What gps do you use for navigation (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What gps do you use for navigation (page 2)

Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael Anderson

Go to dcrainmaker.com and follow his instructions.  Even I could do it!  https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/how-to-install-free-maps-on-your-garmin-edge.html

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jacquie Gaudet

Your experiences are like mine that’s why I want a gps.  Thanks for the info.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Graham SmithTo Rachael Anderson

Rachael nowadays I mostly only use my iPhone, paper maps and line sketches I do pre-tour. However it depends on the context and the type of tour.
On the phone I use the MapsMe app, and GoogleMaps. As we speak, I’m planning for a transOz tour to start next week. I’ve gathered a few road maps and drawn some ‘mud maps’ in my notebook. Most of the route details I’ll work out from local sources as the ride progresses. At this stage I’m only concerned about a general overview of the planned ride.

This ad lib approach to navigation is probably much more practical  in Australia where the choice  of routes is relatively limited in regional areas. A GPS might be useful in remote, off-road areas but I don’t find they are a necessity for cycle touring regional and rural areas. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Graham Smith

thanks for the info.  We hope to get to Australia again for some bike touring!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jacquie Gaudet

Do you load maps to your 830?  How about routes created in ridewithgps?

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael Anderson

I do both. I load OSM maps for my areas of interest per dcrainmaker’s instructions, though I believe new 830s come with maps for the region of purchase already loaded. I asked Al about his, but he says he still loads OSM maps as before.

I create routes in RideWithGPS (on my laptop at home but it’s possible on a mobile device) and “pin” them in the list of my routes. They get copied to my Garmin on the next sync.  Then, on the Garmin, I load the route I want as a “course”.  I have mine set up so the course shows up as a coloured line on the map view, without turn-by-turn directions (my preference). 

You can also search for a destination directly in the Garmin using the touch screen. A bit clunky but doable. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John PescatoreTo Jacquie Gaudet

I've been using GPS for bike trips and kayak trips for over 10 years now. Started with a hand held Garmin mounted on the bars, then the early bike Garmin unit - I forget the model.

I was never happy with the battery life of the Garmins or the difficulty in tailoring the screen to what I really wanted to see. Based on a DC Rainmaker review, about 5 years ago I switched to Wahoo Elemnt, and am now on Team Wahoo. On a 120 mile day where the Elemnt (now using an Elemnt Roam) was on for over 9 hours, still had 40% battery capacity left.

I plan rides with RideWithGPS and Strava, on multiday rides I still carry printed copy of the maps/cue sheets but have actually never had to use them - I think the act of printing them prevents the Wahoo from crashing, just as backing up your PC hard drive keeps your PC from crashing...

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo John Pescatore

I've heard praise for Wahoo, but the models on the market when I bought my Garmin didn't offer navigation functions.  When my current device needs to be replaced, I'll look at all options.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Edward HitchcockTo Rachael Anderson

Seriously guys, get a phone and a navigation app.   Choose a phone or tablet with a screen of a size that suits you, or just use the phone in your pocket.

The devices are cheaper, the maps are cheaper. Almost any phone will store more maps than you'll need for a very, very, long trip.  You will want an external battery pack or big battery phone.  Nice if it's rugged and waterproof.  Take a bit more care if it is not.  And something to mount it on your handlebar with, or just in your handlebar bag.   But just start with any smartphone that you can find.  And have a second one with you for backup.

Use ridewithGPS to make and store a daily trace of your route.  There are lots and lots of good map apps, and none that cost more than a few tens of dollars.  They are good enough to give you the paper maps experience but in a more convenient way.

Note that many devices run Android, from Chromebook laptops through tablets to phones.  Just choose your screen and keyboard size.  If you buy an app to run on one, it will run on all of them for the same price.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Deleted AccountTo Edward Hitchcock

Totally with Edward and Wayne on this. I toured for years with maps and loved it. When people started using Garmins etc I refused to change (old and set in my ways) but when I eventually did I went with RidewithGPS on my Samsung Smartphone and absolutely love it. A far better way to tour IMHO as it gets you off the main roads and onto little back roads that aren't on any maps. Especially relevant for SEA. I also enjoy plotting a route the night before on my little laptop - it allows you to consider all of the options comparing distances, climbing etc. Don't always stick to what I plotted the night before but it's all part off the fun. Esp useful when riding into the big Cities like Bangkok and Saigon.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago