Empire State Trail - New York - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Empire State Trail - New York

Kelly Iniguez

In recent years there have been many announcements for long bicycle paths. They sound wonderful - if and when they are completed. 

https://www.afar.com/magazine/follow-the-empire-state-trail-750-miles-from-new-york-city-to-canada?fbclid=IwAR2yg2XryPOrhxSouyKtkqY4nI0Lu5tU3zALR1rUpnyQ4Y2563aoq3sL32A  I just read of this trail in New York. I get the impression from this article that the 750 mile trail is finished. Does anyone have real life commentary? It sounds great!

Regards,

Kelly

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jeff LeeTo Kelly Iniguez

Hey Kelly,

It looks like the east-west portion of this "T" trail (the Albany to Buffalo portion) is basically the Erie Canalway Trail.

I rode a chunk of that in 2008, as part of a three-month tour all over the USA, and found it to be pleasant. I remember the surface being a little soft, and thus slow, but not a problem with the 35mm tires I was using on my old Cannondale touring bike. It was very flat, as I recall.

The locks and lift bridges were interesting.

Scenery was nice but not spectacular. But, as always with these long multi-use paths (such as the Katy Trail in Missouri and the Ohio-to-Erie Trail in Ohio), it was nice to have extended periods of riding without having to think about cars and trucks.

Jeff

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Paul MulveyTo Kelly Iniguez

Hey, Kelly - good to see your name again. Yes, the Empire trail is "finished" in the sense that the route is designed. True to what has been mentioned here, the east-west route is on the Erie Canal trail, and is probably ~85% crushed limestone and a really good ride. That ride is more about the towns one rides through, the history of the route, and the (mostly) car-free adventure. I rode through in 2017 (https://www.cycleblaze.com/jou...) and enjoyed it so much I made a map set and resources for it (https://glacierbandits.com/eri...).

Regarding the North-South portion it's mostly part of an already established bike route from Albany to Plattsburgh and from Albany to Manhattan it's combining several rail-trail projects in the works. From what I've read, a good number of miles from the Southern portion to Manhattan have been opened in winter 2020. I'm planning to ride with my wife from Buffalo to Manhattan now that she has her e-Bike which will extend her daily ride distances. If you want to look at our proposed route, I mapped it out at https://ridewithgps.com/routes...

Happy riding!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Paul Mulvey

Paul,

Thank you for the welcome. I've downloaded your ridewithgps map for future reference. I hope you will journal the trip so we can all get a first hand taste of what the trail is like.

Kelly

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Karen CookTo Paul Mulvey

Yes, thanks, Paul,

I am hoping to retire in a few years (fingers crossed) and this is one of the routes on my retirement to do list.

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John PickettTo Kelly Iniguez

I rode from Niagara Falls to Albany, mostly on the Erie Canal trail in 2005. I did it on my long wheel base Tour Easy recumbent with wide-ish tires (35 or equivalent). The only problem I had was a minor fall at a barrier gate where some algae had accumulated on the trail. (I stuck out my butt check and only scuffed my shorts.)

I did leave the trail from time to time, following NYS Bike Route 5 signs which generally use NYS Hwy 5. I encountered two hills. Two. Unreal for a 360 mile ride.

Hwy 5 has a 55 mph speed limit but it also has HUGE shoulders. I never felt unsafe. 

Bicycling in upstate NY is a pretty darn splendid. From mid-June to mid-August the weather can be splendid as well. (I am an Albany native.) That said, spring time in central New York can be a riot of cherry and apple blossoms. And fall foliage is terrific too.

I have also ridden north along NYS Bike Route 9 from Albany to Saratoga. Not as sublime but interesting nonetheless.

Good luck.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Peter BrownTo Kelly Iniguez

Hello, I have ridden sections of the Empire State Trail.  From Red Hook south to Kingston it is mostly on back roads. From the Rhinebeck bridge through Kingston it is a mix of road and rail trail. After exiting Kingston it is limestone dust till New Paltz. New Paltz to Manhattan it is paved and off road till the Bronx.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Paul Mulvey

Hi Mike,

Great resource, thank you. We are in the process of planning our summer ride that will include the Erie Canal route. Then deciding from Albany to stay in NY or go into SW Vermont and then North.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago