Hello to old friends and new (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Hello to old friends and new (page 2)

Mike AylingTo Emmet Farrell

G'day Emmett

Welcome to CycleBlaze.

These forums are very quiet and people do not debate components etc at all. As you will discover from reading the journals they do their research, buy their bikes and take them to the bike shop when the need fixing!

It is almost impossible to find a bike on the shop floor without discs but I still prefer V Brakes. 

Goats heads will go through any bike tyre although tubeless tyres with slime do a good job but if you really destroy a tubeless tyre miles from anywhere I understand that a new tubeless tyre is difficult to install without a high pressure air hose!

Cheers

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Graham SmithTo Emmet Farrell

Thanks Emmet for the on site report. Our Oz news hasn’t mentioned Ireland often. As usual England, the USA and mainland Europe receive most coverage. 

From my perspective, the Covid situation in Oz and NZ seems reasonably good. Victorians such as Mike, especially Melbournians, did a heroic effort at crushing the virus, so now the whole country is opening up. The exception of course is international travel. It’ll be a while before travel in and out of Oz re-starts.

My long thwarted plan to cycle around Ireland remains thwarted. (I’m tempted to ask you about helmet laws, but that can wait. :)

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Graham SmithTo Emmet Farrell

Thanks Emmet for the on site report. Our Oz news hasn’t mentioned Ireland often. As usual England, the USA and mainland Europe receive most coverage. 

From my perspective, the Covid situation in Oz and NZ seems reasonably good. Victorians such as Mike, especially Melbournians, did a heroic effort at crushing the virus, so now the whole country is opening up. The exception of course is international travel. It’ll be a while before travel in and out of Oz re-starts.

My long thwarted plan to cycle around Ireland remains thwarted. (I’m tempted to ask you about helmet laws, but that can wait. :)

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Emmet Farrell

Hi Emmet. Welcome!  Mike has touched on the V-brake/disk debate.  Riding a Thorn Raven I have V-brakes but would love to have mechanical disks.  The grass is always greener etc.  Sometimes its best to just keep cycling.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John SaxbyTo Emmet Farrell

Hey Emmet,

Welcome! You've timed your arrival nicely.  I've found CycleBlaze citizens/participants to be a thoughtful and generous lot, so I'm sure you'll find yourself at ease.

In our corner of the planet (Eastern Ontario), our cycling stories this year have been in a bit of a lull 'cos of the pandemic an' all.  Whether written and spoken, they've been tilted towards day rides and overnights, and heavy on the shouda'-woulda'-oughta's.  I'm cautiously optimistic that that will start to change in the spring and summer.  Meantime, there's the matter of winter and maintenance/tweaking projects on the bikes.

Cheers,  John

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John SaxbyTo Graham Smith

My long thwarted plan to cycle around Ireland remains thwarted.

Y'know, Graham, there's a delightful vicarious tour waiting for you, if you haven't yet found it:  have a look at Eric Newby's Round Ireland in Low Gear. It predates home videos, but makes up for that with its word pictures.

Cheers,  John

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Emmet Farrell

Hi Emmet, I join the committee welcoming you to Cycleblaze. We're glad you're here. Mike is right, there are few gear discussions here but that doesn't mean you can't start one! I think now that most folks are somewhat holed up maybe the forum will heat up a little, but there are also a lot of legacy journals to catch up on as well. If you have any you'd like to add contact the website administration for further information on that.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike AylingTo Jean-Marc Strydom

Hi Jean-Marc

Cable discs are so out of date!

Everyone has to have Hydraulic discs now.

But before you rush to update have a read of Jan Heine's article. Jan, like Andy Blance of Thorn holds very strong views on cycle components.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/why-i-love-centerpull-brakes/

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Keith KleinTo Emmet Farrell

Hi Emmet, 

And welcome. As others have said it’s been quiet around here, which is why I didn’t look for or see your post until today. France is still « locked down » but we’ve been promised the vaccine early next year, so one can hope that some kind of normal will return by summer.

Cheers,

Keith 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith Klein

Good heavens!  Speaking of old friends, it’s great to hear you’re still out there, Keith.  Hope you’re well and making the best of a bad time.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago