Day 112 - Rest Day & Change in Plans - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2023

Day 112 - Rest Day & Change in Plans

We were enjoying our day off this morning, until Jeanna checked the news and found out that they have closed WA-20 west of us due to the fires.  A short time later we also received a text from Gene Myers stating the same. (You may recall that we met Gene last week.  He's riding from Pittsburgh to Seattle and is now a day ahead of us)

As a result, I cannot continue on with my original plan.   After much deliberation, I have decided to drive to Rockport, bypassing the fire area, and continue from there. (My original route was Omak-Mazama-Rockport)

 We are going to spend an extra day here in Omak, and drive to Rockport on Monday, which will keep us on our original schedule.  We would have liked to just move everything up a day, but the motel in Rockport didn't have a room available tomorrow and would not refund our money if we cancelled.

I have mixed emotions about all of this.  On one hand, I won't GET to climb 3 more mountain passes on this trip - on the other hand, I don't HAVE to climb 3 more mountain passes this trip.  

I guess I'll think about this like the ferry ride to Ocracoke - I couldn't pedal across the water either :-).

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerLive to ride another day.....I think that is the way the phrase goes......
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Curt & Helene ReedRight attitude. If you can't bike across water, you can't bike across fire.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago