Day 100 - West Glacier to Whitefish - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2023

Day 100 - West Glacier to Whitefish

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a change of plans last night.  Originally, we were going to spend today as a rest day in West Glacier and see the sights.  However, our motel room was so crummy that we decided that we weren't going to stay there.  Unfortunately, we couldn't find another room in West Glacier and our motel in Whitefish was booked up, so we had no choice but to spend an uncomfortable night in a less than desirable room. 

However, later last night, Jeanna worked her magic and managed to add a day to our reservation in Whitefish, so tomorrow will become our rest day and we remain on schedule.  The good news is we just learned this afternoon that the motel in West Glacier is going to refund our money for the second day.  

The quality of the ride today was much better than yesterday, even if the scenery wasn't quite as spectacular.  I spent most of the day on very quiet back roads - roads so quiet and thickly wooded that I had bears on my mind (Jeanna has been telling me lately about all the people that have been killed by bears).  Fortunately, I didn't encounter one, but unfortunately, that means I didn't get to see one either.  In any case, we're going to get some bear spray tomorrow.  

The back roads today certainly were a change of pace from the last several days, or even weeks.  In fact, they reminded me of the ride from Wheeling, WV to Cambridge, OH.  Several of the roads had almost no traffic, did not have a centerline, were bracketed by trees (limiting the views), and the asphalt just followed the hill contours.  I encountered several short but steep hills and had to walk a couple of them.  The one difference between now and then is that today I encountered several local cyclists (all much speedier than I). 

Looking upstream from the Blankenship Bridge. The North Fork Flathead River (left) joins the Middle Fork Flathead River. Note the two Fly-fishermen and their dogs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking downstream at the Middle fork Fathead River from the bridge. It is a popular site for dispersed camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View further downstream
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
MT-486 was a great low-traffic road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shay engine just outside Columbia Falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I came into Whitefish from the north, where I saw several large hayfields.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A local told me that this mountain, just north of Whitefish, is very popular for skiing and hiking.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There's a parachutist in the middle of this photo. I saw one other before this one, but couldn't stop and get the camera out fast enough.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 4,743 miles (7,633 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0