Day 092 - Glasgow to Malta - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2023

Day 092 - Glasgow to Malta

Heart 0 Comment 0

Overall, it was a so-so ride today - I didn't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it all that much either.  

On the plus side, the wind and temperature were in my favor. I had a mild quartering tailwind for most of the day, which made riding much less strenuous than the past few days.  In addition, the temperature was in the mid-60's when I started out at 8, which was nice. 

The big negative for the day was the smoke.  It was heavier today than in the past - not only could I smell it, but it also irritated my throat at times.  The smoke also limited visibility and muted all the colors, so I didn't get to enjoy the scenery as much as I would have liked - everything just looked washed-out, which made it boring.

Another negative was the traffic. RV traffic was heavy, with many of them travelling in caravans.  Much of today's road had a narrow shoulder, and many of the RV's, especially those in caravans, didn't move over so I really had to be prepared for the wind blast they created.

The lack of stops (facilities and/or trees) also distracted from my enjoying todays ride. There was a rest stop at mile 15 and a C-Store at mile 28, but then nothing for the last 42 miles.  (I really like to stop every 10-15 miles, and am getting used to 20-25 miles, but 40+ miles is still outside my comfort zone).  Fortunately, the tailwind helped speed along the last leg of the ride.

Leaving Glasgow, headed for US-2. This underpass is the only access to downtown from US-2.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another day of smoke and haze.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wind turbine base makes for a large load.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerAmazing how big that is....crazy
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montana: 166 miles down, 500 to go
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cattle pens alongside the tracks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pavement and tanker cars stretching to the horizon.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGreat image Kerry....says so so much!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
A large field of yellow flowers. I think they're dwarf sunflowers, but I'm not sure.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNo man's land.....
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rock was penned in and didn't look much like a buffalo to me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cow was standing in the water, but when she saw me she began swimming to her friends.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rich FrasierAm I the only person who ever thought that cows couldn’t swim?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The photo doesn't show it, but I caused a mini stampede as I approached this small herd. They ran for quite a distance, bellowing all the way. The cow is out of the water and headed towards her friends.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These horses were enjoying a bale of hay a rancher had just dropped off.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 4,384 miles (7,055 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0