Day 076 - International Falls to Baudette via Canada - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2023

Day 076 - International Falls to Baudette via Canada

Heart 0 Comment 0

I took a shortcut through Canada today to get to Baudette.  If I had stayed on the US side of the border it would have added about 8 miles to my ride, so I figured going through 2 border crossings would be worth saving the miles and I was right. Entering Canada at Fort Frances was quick and easy.  There was only one car in front of me when I arrived, and when it was my turn, they didn't ask many questions at all and then I was on my way.  

When I reentered the US at Baudette, there were 2 cars in front of me and that did take a little time, but when it was my turn, they the agent just glanced at my passport and waved me through.  This was a much better experience than what we have endured at Buffalo, NY on previous trips, but then Minnesotans are generally friendlier than New Yorkers to begin with.

Not too far west of Fort Frances, I noticed that there were open fields mixed in with the forests.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Raking hay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was the first large wheat field I've seen in quite a while. It was interesting to watch the transition from forest to farmland today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was a small railroad display in Rainy River, so of course I had to check it out.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The static display has a live display immediately behind it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Re-entering the States as I cross the Rainy River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Baudette is another Minnesotan town that likes its fish. This is Willie the Walleye.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's Trivia: Tomorrow's destination is Roseau.  To get there I'll be on MN-11. Today, I spent the day on ON-11.  Both roads are part of MOMs Way, which is an acronym for Manitoba-Ontario-Minnesota, and provides a secondary route from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 3,589 miles (5,776 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0