Day 066 - Rest Day - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2023

Day 066 - Rest Day

A nice drive.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The above map shows the route we drove today.  It was a very scenic drive and I now wish I had added it to my cycling itinerary.

Our first stop of the day was Copper Harbor.  It is a quaint low-key tourist town that is not overly commercialized.  It did, however, have a very nice ice-cream / bakery / fudge shop.   There was a $10 minimum to use a credit card and the fudge only came to $8.25, so I of course I had to buy a piece of baklava to meet the minimum!  (I'll pedal mine off tomorrow, but I don't know what Jeanna will do :-)

The following photos show the actual harbor from left to right:

Copper Harbor, looking to the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And looking to the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After visiting the town and harbor we drove out to the beginning of US-41.  For those that don't know us, we live about 10 miles from US-41 in Florida, and I cycle it regularly.

Jeanna pointing out where we live.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were some other folks here as well and one offered to take a photo of the 2 of us, so here we are. What a good-looking couple!!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kelley ForbesI’m so happy you visited our state! My son took this photo and when he returned home told me all about your adventure. Amazing.
Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
I should have just followed US-41 - it's taken me over 3,000 miles to get here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the return trip we visited a couple tourist attractions.

Heart 0 Comment 0
A map showing the veins of copper at the mine site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw this and had to stop.  I'm always amused when people tell us they couldn't live in Florida because of hurricanes.  Yes, we have a chance of hurricanes, but up here they're GUARANTED snow EVERY year.

An average of 20 feet of snow per year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our final stop was the Coppertown Mining Museum in Calumet.  We learned that during the mine's heyday, Calumet was truly a company town.  The mining company owned the housing, hospital and school and paid in company script.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not related to mining, but interesting, nevertheless. A copper tank designed to fit in a suitcase and used to smuggle liquor into Chicago during prohibition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside there was a yard full of mining equipment.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow, I get to pedal off all that fudge on my way to Ontonagon.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0