Day 062 - Newberry to Munising - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2023

Day 062 - Newberry to Munising

Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm glad I waited a day.  The morning was cool, but it quickly warmed up to the mid 60's and the sky was cloudless, which made for a comfortable ride. 

 I was on M28 for the entire ride as the photos will show.  In all honesty, much of the ride was boring.  The scenery did not vary, especially after the first 15 miles. The traffic was heavy enough that I really couldn't look around as I had a narrow shoulder for most of the day and had to concentrate on both the road and traffic.

M28 just west of Newberry. The first 15 miles or so of today's ride was the most interesting, as it had a few hills and the road had some slight curves, which provided some nice vistas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I met Jeanna for lunch in Seney. After lunch, I rode by this railroad depot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Museum was closed. I later found out that it is only open by appointment. Searching the internet, I discovered that the depot's claim-to-fame is its relationship to Earnest Hemingway. In 1919, Hemingway arrived in Seney by train and spent a week fishing in the area,
Heart 0 Comment 0
This string of 5 cars was across from the museum. I'm trying to find out what type of cars they are. I'm thinking they are used to spread ballast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what M28 looked like for the 22+ miles from Seney to Shingleton. The scenery didn't change, and the road was perfectly flat, straight, and boring :-)
Heart 0 Comment 1
marilyn swettOut of all of the roads we biked on in the UP, this road with a narrow shoulder and heavy traffic was the worst. We had lots of honks and drivers not moving over a little for us. I was sure glad when we got to a wider shoulder!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Google Maps has an icon for this railroad bridge over the Driggs River, so I stopped to take a photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No icon, but I took a photo anyway. This bridge over the Hickey River in Shingleton appears to be for an ATV trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
West of Shingleton, M28 had a great shoulder for the rest of the way to Munising. The scenery remained the same until just outside Munising, however.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alger Falls, just east of Munising.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 2,907 miles (4,678 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0