Bettingen to Lohr - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2014

Bettingen to Lohr

A very hot day today - beautiful sunny skies and temperatures in the 30's.
We took it easy and stopped for lunch and water breaks when we could find shade and a breeze.
The campground at Bettingen was exceptional and we really enjoyed our stay. They offered the first internet access that we have had since beginning our cycling trip - so we took advantage of it and tried to get our journal up to date. We still have photos to load. As a result of working on our journal, we got a late start. It's good that we did that as once again, we have no internet access tonight at our campsite.
As we were leaving the campground this morning, two men who were cycling approached us and asked us why we were heading east and upriver - "everyone goes west, downriver - it's easier and downhill". Now we understand why huge groups are going in the opposite direction from us.
This weekend is a long weekend with Monday as a national religious holiday. We have been warned that campgrounds and accomodation will be full - but we should be ok with a bike and a tent.
As we passed through Lohr am Main, we decided to stop early and take advantage of the campground in the city on the river. It was good to stop. We also were quick to jump in the swimming pool at the complex next door.

Terraced vineyards along the river with hundreds of stone steps to the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical Bavarian pole in the centre of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A new village....a new brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hot day needs Radler (beer lightened with lemon).
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a welcome break to escape the heat on the trail to this biergarten (beer garden). We shared the meat salad and bread, plus Radler beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived early in Lohr and explored the town on foot. The bike needed a break after its hot ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the homes in Lohr had a door like this leading to a cold cellar (we think)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed this brewery earlier - and we love the label with the wild boar enthusiastically enjoying his beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cold dinner at camp - eating and drinking local.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 301 km (187 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0