Day 1 - Bari to Altamura - Schnooks Takes A Turn in Puglia - Tandem Tour - May 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2024

Day 1 - Bari to Altamura

Heart 0 Comment 0

For a city that stays up late, it’s surprising how early Bari starts working in the morning.  By 0700 the street outside our apartment was filled with shouting men.  Evidently someone in the next building was moving out and one of those big ladder/elevator things was being deployed to bring the belongings down to the street.  Like everything else here, this seemed to require a lot of shouting, honking, and racing engines.  We were up early.

The breakfast at the Nest of Envy was not something that would make us envious, so we contented ourselves with some oat bars and coffee.  We finished sorting everything, and Rich ran the suitcase back to the car.  We were ready to go.

Ready to go!
Heart 6 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyExcited to be following along on your adventures! It’s on our list sometime too. It will be fun to follow along and see what you guys get up to!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

We rolled off just around 0930, weaving our way through the morning chaos of Bari.  Dodging cars, pedestrians and scooters, we found our way to a really nice bike path that led us to quieter parts of the city.  

Trying not to get dropped by an old dude on a folding bike with small wheels.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonHey, that sounds like Scott or me but I’m not a dude!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Rich FrasierTo Rachael AndersonHaha Rachael we wouldn’t even try to keep up with you!!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonYou’d have no trouble at all, we’ve slowed down a lot, especially me! I’m finding it’s a lot Harding bicycling when you have breathing difficulties. It’s much easier hiking.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

We wove our way through Carbonara di Bari, which is not a pasta dish but a suburb of Bari.  Eventually, we passed the last of the suburban apartment buildings and were out in the countryside.  It was just us and the olive trees.  And the occasional road-side trash dump.  :(

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Amidst the groves of olives we passed through the small towns of Bitritto, Bitetto, and Grumo Appula.  We stopped in Gruma for lunch, since breakfast had been rather skimpy.  The « It’s OK Cafe » served us 2 lovely ham/emmental/curry paninis.  We were fueled for the journey.

Out into the countryside after Grumo, we enjoyed a really nice bike path along a deserted road.  The road seemed to serve more tractors than any other vehicle.  As much as we like bike paths, this one seemed a little unnecessary.

Unnecessary cycling infrastructure
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the bike path, we made a couple of turns and found ourselves on another deserted road that had brand-new pavement as we continued to gradually climb into the hills above Bari.  In our part of France, fresh pavement is a clue that the Tour de France is coming that way later in the year.  Not sure whether the Giro is coming this way but I somehow doubt it.

Fresh pavement, no cars - what gives?
Heart 4 Comment 0

As we got to the Forest di Mercadante, the climbing got stiffer and the road degraded significantly.  The pilot hit a few potholes, causing general consternation, but overall we managed to enjoy the forest and the climb wasn’t that bad.

We continued to climb into more open country.  It was a beautiful day to be out on a bike.  Not too hot, a nice cross-tail wind, and great views.  We could see Altamura in the distance as we hit the top of the climb.

Climbing in more open country
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we approached Altamura, we hit a section of descending, empty road that was a cyclist’s dream.  

It doesn’t get better than this
Heart 7 Comment 0

Of course, we had to pay all that bliss back with a climb into Altamura itself.  It wasn’t super-steep, but after 70km on our first day out, we were pretty ready to be done. 

 We were too early to check-in so we found the Piazza del Duomo and a sleepy cafe that served us some drinks to pass the time.

Post ride libations
Heart 7 Comment 1
Lyle McLeodAlways the best kind! Looks like your trip is off to a great start.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Schnooks takes a break across the piazza
Heart 5 Comment 0

As we were nursing our drinks, the 13th century cathedral opened.  We took turns going inside to check it out.  It’s beautiful!

Nice old door
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 1
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our accommodation, « Casa Porsia » is adorable, with an adorable owner Petra.  We cleaned up and spent the afternoon recuperating from our big day on the bike.

Entrance to Casa Porsia
Heart 3 Comment 0

Petra recommended a local restaurant « Tre Archi » and it delivered!  We had a lovely meal with a great local wine, and waddled back through the old town to our apartment.  We’ll sleep well tonight.

Dinner at Tre Archi
Heart 5 Comment 0

Tomorrow, on to Gravina in Puglia and Matera!

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 70 km (43 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithSounds like a great first day. The concept of "unnecessary" cycling infrastructure is interesting. A wealth of riches? Most places we cycle are so lacking in cycling facilities that it's hard to imagine more than needed.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s a long ride for your first day!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago