two days in Mandalay: how many pagoda's are enough? - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 31, 2016

two days in Mandalay: how many pagoda's are enough?

Day one: "This is an awesome breakfast" we both agree. The spread is a merging of two worlds. At one end are the Burmese dishes of rice, noodles, and soup then the fried eggs make the transition to toaster for bread, jam and butter, omelet, pancakes and honey, juice, coffee with milk, black and green tea.

After breakfast we walk toward the palace grounds. We end up on the west side and foreigners are only allowed to enter the East side. This is a problem for walking,the grounds surrounded by a moat is 3 x 3 kilometers. "Taxi" we are asked, "very far away" he adds. We take a motorcycle ride for 2000 kyat each. We are given a helmet and off we go.

Done with the palace we walk to Mandalay Hill and climb up the steps. At one point almost to the top, we cross the road, there might be an easier way up. Plenty of shopping opportunities on the way up and nice views from the top.

We take a motorcycle ride to the City Cafe and have a nice lunch before a taxi ride back to the hotel.

Day two: "This is not a walkable city". We've been in lots of cities where the sidewalks are cluttered or used for parking or open drainage ditches, but Mandalay seems the worst. We see very few people walking.

After starting out walking from the hotel, we found it more difficult to find a taxi and realize probably should have asked the hotel to call for one. We got to the south end of the palace moat and finally got a taxi to take us back to the Mandalay Hill area. We got the taxi driver that gave his card that advertised "Funny Joking Service" and he told us jokes the whole ride.

We walked around the forest of white pagodas before catching a taxi to Zegyo market area, from here we walked to the BBB cafe that is run by the owners of City Cafe, same menu even.

The afternoon was taking it easy, getting ready for the taxi ride to Inle Lake tomorrow. An early dinner on the rooftop bar and restaurant and wondering if we will be awake to welcome the New Year of 2017. Last year, New Year's we flew from Capetown South Africa to Kochi India.

In a few weeks we fly from Bangkok to Amsterdam for family visits then onward to Lima Peru. After a year in Asia, we may be in for culture shock.

Morning market on 81st street, next to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quick way to get around is hire one of the moped taxi guys. It is fast, cheap and safe too in Mandalay because they make you wear a hardhat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First stop is the Royal Palace inside a huge military base in the middle of the city. There is a 3 x 3 kilometer square moat with walls and only one entrance for foreigners. In the middle is this fairly new re-built palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rooflines are awesome. Richly carved fascia boards. Behind it though hides sheetmetal and concrete.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mirror mosiac work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walk up Mandalay Hill and get views back of the moat around the palace. It is hazy in Mandalay this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buddha's feet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large bell and the stick to ring it with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman selling satay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fire look-out tower on our street as seen from our hotel room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wood carvings on Shwenadaw Kyaung.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The construction of the wall panels of Shwenadaw Kyaung is awesome. Housed mortise and tenon connections, pinned together with wooden dowels that are barely visible in this photo. The exposed teak has weathered to a grey patina. Too bad many of the newer carvings are attached with nails and sheetrock screws.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monks walking around Shwenadaw Kyaung.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wood carvings on Shwenadaw Kyaung.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside Shwenadaw Kyaung. Tall teak post hold up the roof, a Buddha figure agains a wooden back drop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman with child at Shwenadaw Kyaung.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shwenadaw Kyaung seen from a distance. The details is what makes this building though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roof lines and detailed carving at Shwenadaw Kyaung.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next stop is Atumashi Kyaungdawgyi. We've seen it described elswhere as "a huge building with a small Buddha".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornate door at Atumashi Kyaungdawgyi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A couple of thousand stupa's house stone tablets with the 15 holy Buddhist books plus all their commentarys and addendums at Kuthodaw Paya.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where we start to wonder how many stupa's does it take......
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plastic bike shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy recycling aluminum cans. He is removing the tabs. I have never understood why they do this.....?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0