A day in Bilbao - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2024

A day in Bilbao

I left off yesterday before we headed out for an early dinner. Knowing that “early dinner” isn’t a thing in Spain, we thought we’d try a pintxos dinner since we were really more tired than hungry. We decided to check out the old town area of Bilbao and found all the tourists we hadn’t seen earlier, along with restaurants clearly aimed at foreign tourists with posted menus in multiple languages—but not serving meals at the silly (in Spain) hour of 7 pm. 

We sat on stools at a bar for beer and pintxos and then headed back to the hotel. 

We shared these, then Al ordered another 3 different ones because he was still hungry.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This morning we chose the easy option, breakfast at the hotel. It was okay, but far from the best breakfast buffet we’ve seen on past trips.  Then it was bike assembly time. 

I worked at the window end of our room. That’s a mural painted on a retaining wall we see through the window.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Patrick O'HaraYour bike case comes with its own stand? Nice.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraMy back loves it! Al liked mine so much he bought his own.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYour plan doesn't quite show a return to Bilbao, but presumably you are leaving your bags and stands there?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetWe are. It’s why we chose this hotel, along with its excellent location. We will ride back here from Mundako in about 7 weeks’ time.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Al got the entry end of the room. The room is big enough for us both to assemble our bikes at the same time.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Mike AylingDid you each bring a shop stand to assemble your bikes on?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mike AylingThe stands are part of our Thule bike travel cases. The stiffening struts from the sides of the cases become the legs; the only part that isn’t essential to the case is the connector that attaches the beam to the legs.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Assembly went well; the only concern was that my front tire was dead flat, not the way it was when I’d packed my bike. I pumped it up but it was losing air fast enough to be flat again by the time I wanted to put it on my bike (the last step other than checking bolts).

So I pumped it up again and we walked over to a bike shop we’d seen in our explorations yesterday and which looked like a good one. 

Looks were not deceiving. A competent mechanic unseated it, checked the sealant level, reseated it (not too hard when you’ve got a compressor to use), and tightened the valve. No charge, so I bought some CO2 cartridges as Al likes to carry a few. The tire is still fully inflated now, almost 12 hours later. 

Highly recommended! In the Abando area of Bilbao.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Errands complete, we stashed the bike in our room, changed into shorts (the day had warmed up a lot), and became tourists. 

We walked along the river to the Guggenheim but decided to find some lunch before going in.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A Gaudi building, or just reminiscent of his style?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Streetscape showing some of Bilbao’s attractive buildings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trees near the Guggenheim; they smelled lovely!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Closer view of a tree’s flowers and fruit(?)
Heart 4 Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI think you’re correct. The description online matches.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Bill Shaneyfelthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melia_azedarach
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat’s the one. The common names are so varied! “ Melia azedarach, commonly known as the chinaberry tree, pride of India, bead-tree, Cape lilac, syringa berrytree, Persian lilac, Indian lilac, or white cedar, is a species of deciduous tree in the mahogany family, Meliaceae, that is native to Indomalaya and Australasia.”
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Al and Puppy
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThis is one of my favorite sites in Bilbao!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heading in. We got the seniors’ rate, 9€ each
Heart 4 Comment 0
I didn’t really look at “The Matter of Time” by Richard Serra when I was here before, but made sure to see it this time. Al described it as “immersive” and I agree.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Margie AndersonRichard Serra, fabulous!!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shapes needed to be explored
Heart 1 Comment 0
The surface patina on one of the darker walls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I had a discussion recently about Voice of Fire, acquired decades ago by the National Gallery of Canada with much controversy. But it’s so interesting in person, said my friend. The brushstrokes just make it, she said. I think we both thought it was by Mark Rothko, but it’s by Barnett Newman. This work is by Rothko and I really don’t get it. No noticeable brushstrokes either.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe still think either this one or the one from all those years ago looks like something a not particularly talented 6 year old could pull off. But then, as they say, art is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Margie AndersonHis stuff is immersive too!!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Signo I, Pablo Palazuelo, 2003.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Muro de luz 11, Aitor Ortiz, 1971. This artist used light projected onto the walls of an old quarry to create intriguing effects. My photo doesn't do his photo justice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This one needs its title: Iberia. Robert Motherwell, 1958.
Heart 1 Comment 0
150 Multicolored Marilyns, Andy Warhol
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the Marilyns
Heart 2 Comment 0
Other big works in the same room
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was interesting. Only a few people were allowed in this “infinite room” at a time. There were four of us, each multiplied many times.
Heart 4 Comment 1
I hadn’t realized that this bridge tower is actually part of the Guggenheim’s collection. As is Maman, the spider sculpture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another fascinating work, Rising Sea by El Anatsui.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail of the bottom part
Heart 3 Comment 0
Detail near the top
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another bit of art I didn’t get.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesGlad I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonWe’ve been in Bilbao three times now and somehow have never made it inside the museum. You’re making me feel better about that.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonYou should go in the next time. Seniors are half-price and it’s well done (though not all of the works are to my taste).
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
View from the terrace, accessible only from inside the building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Al on the terrace. I liked how the straight lines of the walls behind him contrasted with the crazy curves of the rest of the building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking up. The building itself is the biggest work in the collection.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We both enjoyed the grass between the tram tracks along the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The famous passerelle.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’ve walked on this several times. It’s great!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
River city
Heart 2 Comment 0

We left our hotel, just across the street from the river on its right bank, shortly after 8 to search for dinner in the Abando district. It seemed to be where the locals went but, even so, we were amazed by the crowds. Walking through the pedestrian streets was like making your way through a successful party, weaving through throngs of people, everyone seemingly already holding a glass of in search of one. It didn’t seem like any real food was being served yet. I should have taken a photo!  Was this just a typical Saturday evening in Bilbao when the weather was pleasant enough to stand around outdoors?

We finally found an Italian restaurant where people were eating. 

We both had eggplant ravioli with sautéed spring vegetables at Ginos, which may or may not be part of a chain. It was excellent and satisfied our craving for veggies after last night’s pintxos.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThat looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetIt was! I could have licked the plate—except Sl finished mine because I couldn’t.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Margie AndersonYou guys are having too much fun!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Margie AndersonThat’s the idea! It’s 7:20 am here now and today will be our most challenging ride yet, so we’ll see…
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago