January 29 - February 4 - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

January 29, 2024 to February 4, 2024

January 29 - February 4

The cold lingers … sunset at 4:22, -42 degrees, ice fog rolling up the river … might be why we are heading south.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We thought the cold spell was over … but not so as our temperatures went up to the only -15 degree zone and then headed down for several more days.  We keep trying to remind ourselves that we haven’t had a prolonged cold spell like this in several years but that doesn’t bring a lot of comfort when the windows ice over and the tires go bump, bump, bump until they round out after being outside for prolong periods of time.

Looking south towards the Alaskan Range … ice fog was reducing visibility to 50-75 feet at times.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And when it gets cold like this, the animals and birds tend to simply stop moving around but rather try to find someplace to hunker down and simply conserve the energy reserves.

Downy Woodpecker
Heart 1 Comment 0

Did catch one picture of a Downy Woodpecker at the feeder during one slightly warmer spell but he seemed intent on eating as much as possible, as quickly as possible before he flew back into the trees and I’m guessing, a hole in a tree where he has stored up some natural insulation awaiting some sunshine and warmth.

Everything is now packed and checked off for our upcoming flights.  The flights and reservations have all been double checked and we are simply waiting for the hours to roll by before leaving for the airport.

Fortunately our airport is rather small in Fairbanks, a total of 4 gates of which 2 are primarily used.  Check-in usually takes less than 15 minutes, security about the same and we often know at least one person at each station, the benefit on living in the same place for quite a while.

Today's ride: 203 miles (327 km)
Total: 1,014 miles (1,632 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Kelly IniguezIt's 75 degrees today and we have a club ride to lunch. Rain is in the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday, not a good welcome for you to Tucson. But it will be rain, and not snow! I'm looking forward to meeting you both!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly IniguezThanks for the info. How often are you doing club rides? Quite excited to get there even if some rain is forecast. We’ve warmed to a -11 this morning so most temperatures will be a welcome relief.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bob DistelbergSo I spent my college years in very northern New York State during the 1970’s, and experienced -30F more than a few times. Your comment about “the tires going bump, bump, bump until they smoothed out” definitely brought back some memories!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kelly IniguezJoin the Tucson Recumbent Cyclists page on FB to get information directly. We usually ride together on Wednesdays, but the ride was moved up this week because of the forecast. Emphasis with this group is social/lunch. 20 miles is the typical distance. There is talk of a ride through East Saguaro Park on the 13th. There's a group of the Palm Springs recumbent rally riders coming to Tucson for a few days, and they are seeing the sights. That's a more difficult ride than is typical.

I can't seem to find your email. Can you send me one, so I can contact you off list?

BTW - I also love small airports. You might not get a direct flight, but going through security is a breeze. Ten minutes from car to gate! Love it.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly IniguezPedalpushinllka@gmail.com will work
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Bob DistelbergThere is something quite unique about that xperience.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago