Comments on the Route: Brief descriptions of the seven day-sections of the Parliament House to Sydney Opera House tour route - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2011

Comments on the Route: Brief descriptions of the seven day-sections of the Parliament House to Sydney Opera House tour route

Parliament House Canberra to the Sydney Opera House via backroads and a coastal route

Additional day-by-day route observations and descriptions:

Day 1: Canberra to Tarago via Bungendore - (76 km)
It is flat riding from Parliament House to the edge of Canberra, then a steady, lengthy climb on the Federal Highway to Eagle Hawk hill. An easy ride followed from Eagle Hawk hill on the Federal Highway to the Bungendore Road turnoff. Before the Bungendore Road turnoff there was another turnoff signed 'Macs Reef Road'. This road also leads to Bungendore and is possibly shorter but probably with more hills. I haven't cycled it so can't confirm what the map indicates.
Bungendore Road had very little traffic and was undulating through to the edge of an escarpment overlooking the wide valley (the Captains Flat rift) in which Bungendore is located. It is a steep, short, winding descent from the escarpment to the outskirts of Bungendore which is approximately 45 kms from Canberra. There are ample services and accommodation in Bungendore.
The Tarago Road from Bungendore to Tarago is mostly undulating with a few hills. There was very little traffic. There are potential camping sites along the way in woodland areas signed 'Stock Route Reserves'.
Tarago has accommodation (about $40) at a pub called The Loaded Dog. There is also a service station /shop. I didn't see another shop until I arrived in Marulan two days later.

Day 2: Tarago to Bungonia Nature Reserve (56 km)
There were about 30 km of corrugated, gravel road with quite a few low hills and undulating backroads on this section. I saw very few cars and the area feels fairly isolated. There are farmhouses but few signs of settlement until Bungonia. Close attention to the map and/or GPS is needed through this section as there are a number of turnoffs and junctions signed and unsigned. There is an excellent campground at the Bungonia Nature Reserve. $7 per site. Entry signs said that bookings were essential but this would only be necessary at peak periods. There was a closed ranger office when I arrived. I made the payment by a self check-in arrangement with money into an envelope and a locked box. Correct change in coins is helpful. The camp has a kitchen, hot showers, good sites and filtered water. Access to the campground is via an 8 km turnoff (The Lookdown Road) from Bungonia hamlet. The road was sealed and well sign-posted. It is necessary to return to Bungonia hamlet via the same road when departing the Bungonia Nature Reserve.
The section of the route (Tarago to Marulan) was the only part of the entire House-to-House ride where camping gear is essential. An alternative route for riders wanting to travel lighter and without a tent, would be to cycle via the major centre of Goulburn. This would mean riding on the Hume Highway which many people do safely. It would however be a very different riding experience because of the amount of car and heavy vehicle traffic which use the Hume Highway.

EDIT POSTSCRIPT: Since doing this journal I have ridden and journalled an alternative route from Tarago to Kiama. The alternative route is Tarago to Kiama via Nerriga and Nowra. The cycle route distances are comparable whether the ride is to Sydney by Nerriga or via the Southern Highlands. My rides measured that cycling from Tarago to Kiama via Bundanoon is about 194 km; and that cycling from Tarago to Kiama via Nerriga is about 186 km. These include some side-tracks and back-tracks so are only indicative. There is, however, a traffic problem (for the Nerriga route) in riding the short section from Bomaderry to Gerroa which needs more checking for a safer alternative. It is only a short section, but could be a show-stopper for some riders. There is perhaps an alternative via Berry or other backroads I am not familiar with. The safe alternative is the hourly CityRail train service from Bomaderry to Kiama. Details of the alternative Tarago to Kiama route via Nerriga are journalled at: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/turpentine

Day 3: Bungonia Nature Reserve to Bundanoon (64 km)
From Bungonia it is about 18 km to Marulan on the Jerrara Road. I only saw 3 or 4 cars on this sealed, undulating stretch. Jerrara Road leads to the Hume Highway. It intersects first with the South Marulan Road but only a 100 or so metres is travelled on this road. A careful crossing of the wide Hume Highway is needed at the intersection to reach the shoulder lane leading to Marulan via a highway service centre. Marulan has shops, cafes, accommodation and other services.
From Marulan it is only a kilometre or so along the Hume Highway (still with a very wide shoulder to ride on) to a T-junction turnoff onto the Southern Highlands Way tourist route. There was very little traffic on the day I rode along the Highlands Way to Bundanoon where I stayed at the Youth Hostel. There are cafes, shops and accommodation throughout this route in each of the villages. There is a national park camping ground on the outskirts of Bundanoon at the entry to Morton National Park.
There are also many options for cycle touring within, (as well as passing through) the Southern Highlands area. On this tour, I was riding through the Southern Highlands to get to the coast; an alternative option would be stay in the area for a few days to look more closely at the villages and countryside, and the nearby Morton National Park. The main southern rail line with CityRail services to Sydney has stations at each of the villages and the main town of Moss Vale. This provides an additional, convenient transport option for riders and bikes.

Day 4: Bundanoon to Kiama via Robertson and the Jamberoo Pass Road (74 km)
Navigation is easy in this area with good sign-posting. There was moderate early morning commuter traffic between Bundanoon and Exeter when I cycled here. If I'd wanted to, it was possible to avoid most of the Illawarra Highway with looping backroads to Robertson but I received local advice that the highway was fine to ride on so I did. It was OK with its reasonably wide shoulder and straight stretches. There is some climbing on the way to Robertson. I rode through Robertson a couple of kilometres to the Robertson Pie shop which is right on the junction of the Illawarra Highway and the Jamberoo road which I turned onto. There was an initial small climb then a rapid descent down the pass before some undulating riding. Then it was a steep, narrow, scenic road down to the Jamberoo Valley and onto the village. From the village, it was a well sign-posted ride including quite a climb over a ridge to Kiama. There are alternative routes e.g. via Albion Park which I didn't investigate but are obvious on the maps.

Day 5: Kiama to Wollongong (40 km)
I departed Kiama by finding the bike-way running along Gipps St and following it (over a headland and then down) through to Bombo and onwards to Minnamurra and beyond to Lake Illawarra. It was very easy, scenic cycling with lots of viewing stops on the headlands, beaches, wetlands and lakes.
I paid close attention to the UBD 1:25 000 street map of Wollongong all of this day. This map covers the area and shows the bike route right through to Wollongong city beach and beyond to Thirroul. Navigation through the outer areas of Wollongong including Warrawong, Port Kembla and Cringilla needed some extra close attention, a slower pace and frequent checks of the map but it is relatively easy to stay on traffic-free paths and low-traffic back-roads.

Day 6: Central Wollongong to Bundeena (68 km)
I rejoined the bike-way at Wollongong city beach. The path was easily followed all the way to Thirroul about 18 km to the north. There are ample stopping and view points along the way. From Thirroul, although the bike path ended, there were paths and ways to keep off the road. It was not very busy in this area. Not until Stanwell Park did I have no choice but to cycle on the road for a few kilometres. There is a very winding, very steep but thankfully short section of road from Stanwell Park to the outstanding lookout at Stanwell Tops (Bald Hill). It was just rideable in low gear but I found it easier to walk. There is no shoulder but there were not many vehicles and they were also travelling carefully on the steep incline. From Bald Hill, I headed into the Royal National Park which was very quiet riding except for a few motorbikers obviously out to enjoy the winding roads. The ride through to Bundeena is fairly easy with only a couple of memorable climbs. The route was well signposted. A ferry service runs hourly to Cronulla.

Day 7: Cronulla to central Sydney (41 km)
I was pleased that I started this section at the beginning of a day rather than trying it as an afternoon section because I was totally unfamiliar with the area and the route into the city. It was worth taking time to enjoy the views and to carefully navigate. I found that the Sydney cycleways maps were essential to guide me. GPS was also helpful (but not essential) in combination with the maps.
A way out of Cronulla by backstreets, paths and beach esplanades was easy to find. The first stage from Cronulla was to reach Taren Point and the Captain Cook Bridge. This was easy to find. Once across the bridge (there is a walkway lane), the route through to Kyeemagh is also easy to find and ride. At the closest point to the airport, there are a few places where it is easy to loose track of the right path. The map kept me on track. The dotpoints 25-34 on pg 13 of this journal detail how I made my way into Opera House. In summary, it was a surprisingly easy route to ride and to navigate, even for me who does not know Sydney very well.

MAPS which cover the route:

Canberra & Queanbeyean Cycling & Walking Map
http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/plandev/tp-intro/projects/walk_cycle/cyclemap/canberra_path_map3.swf
(Harcopy available from local Canberra bike shops and online from Pedal Power)

NATMAP 1:100 000 TOPOGRAPHIC MAP SERIES:
-Canberra
-Braidwood
-Goulburn
-Moss Vale
-Kiama

NatMap topo. maps are available from outdoor and camping supply retailers and online retailers such as:
http://www.cartodraft.com.au/topographic_NATMAP_100K.shtml

UBD Street map series:
-Wollongong 13th Edition 1:25 000
Available for purchase at newsagents and bookshops.

NEW SOUTH WALES GOVERNMENT ROAD TRAFFIC AUTHORITY (RTA) MAPS:

-Illawarra Cycleways Map
-Sutherland and Campbelltown Guide to cycling in Sydney's south and southwest
-Sydney and Parramatta Guide to cycling from to Sydney's inner western and eastern suburbs and the lower north shore

http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/maps/index.html

I was slightly amused to see this Maximum Speed on the GPS data for day 7 of the Canberra to Sydney ride. The final run down Macquarie St to the Opera House is good, but not 134 km/hr good! And I really have not noticed any improvements in the rider's fitness between my last and second-last tours which were nicely spaced by 22 years. The real reason is that I did not turn off the GPS unit during the return trip by CityRail to Goulburn so the GPS unit registered the train speed. This appears to me to be a good effort by an Australian train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0