Riding From Brzeg to Wroclaw - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2017

Riding From Brzeg to Wroclaw

The unexpected pleasures that come when travelling can be the most memorable. 

We would not have visited Brzeg if we had not been trying to get to a train connection in Wroclaw...and we would not have stayed here if we hadn't wanted to try the trains and have one last bike ride in Poland. Without going on, Brzeg tured out to be a good place to visit. Starting with Villa Romeo. we enjoyed  spacious, elegant accomodation (albeit a bit tired), bike storage and a  great breakfast - all reasonably priced. We discovered as well some significant historic buildings and charm in this town.
We have found that Polish people are often surprised at the fact that a Canadian couple have chosen  to tour in their country and they will ask shyly if we like Poland and if the people here have been good to us. We are happy to say yes to all. It is surprising to us that we have seen a total of 2 other cycle tourists the whole time we have been here. 

These old hotels in Poland have a grace and elegance from a bygone era. Admittedly, it is a bit rough around the edges, but everything is on such a grand scale...very high ceilings, chandeliers in every room, huge rooms and the artwork is always a highlight. As always in Poland, the hospitality and kindness of the proprietor added to the charm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These pictures of breakfast show the many choices of food we were given - plus freshly cooked eggs to order and unlimited coffee from the espresso machine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A few shots of Villa Romeo - our bedroom, part of the lounge off of the lobby
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another scorcher - leaving Villa Romeo in the morning and it is already 39 degrees celsius.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine Ruppolt39 celsius equals 102 Farenheit....was it really that hot first thing in the morning?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
As we were exiting Brzeg, this man pulled up beside us at the intersection and was very excited to see us and welcome "people from Kanady" to Poland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely restored architecture at the castle which houses the Museum of the Siesian Piasts. We would have liked to have toured this museum/castle, but we didn't have enough time. We have read that it is worth a visit. Perhaps next time..Shown here is a photo of the detail of the carvings on the front wall of the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This baroque church, Holy Cross, is quite beautiful - one of the more extraordinary churches we have visited this trip. The vastly different churches of Holy Cross in Brzeg and St Jacob and Agnes in Nysa offered something special and unique for the visitor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Charming and inspirational
Heart 0 Comment 0
Holy Cross Church in Brzeg is a delight to visit. Built between 1734-39, the ceiling frescoes are original and painted by J Kubena. They are stunning and portray the missions of the Jesuit Order and the glory of the Holy Cross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we mentioned before, the churches in Poland seem to be thriving. We have noticed modern touches with the use of guitar and choices of music, plus this TV mounted incongruously by the ornate altar is a sign of their attempt to keep up with the times and attract younger parishioners (we think!).
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way out of Brzeg, we saw this moving Freedom Memorial dedicated to the Polish and Soviet efforts in achieving freedom from Hitler. We cannot find any information about this statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a hot day as we ride in to the countryside out of Brzeg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stone barns are typically attached to the house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a pretty little village in the country with a new, smooth cycling path. However, just around the corner things go awry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had been both remarking on the wonderful road surfaces, and suddenly our route disappeared. Oh well, it looks pretty good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then, the trouble started. Barry had to walk Seavo for at least a km and rode when he could for about a km. The mud and broken up trail were hard going. Mary Ellen was forced to run to escape the mosquitoes. We both sprayed on bug repellent, but they still found us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were surprised to see this car. The problem with this trail is that it has been broken down by logging trucks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the bike briefly - I was in the midst of using a stick to clean his shoes so that the cleats could connect with the pedal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mud everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Poland, we have often seen homes with pigeons - these pigeons have a very nice enclosure to live in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mistletoe has overtaken this tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally made it to a village and got a 1 euro hot dog and 2 euro pannini for Barry. Happy at last
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now, this is happiness for the Bartletts. Ice cream is very good in Poland, and if we can't get to a Lody (ice cream place) we love these very thick and creamy waffle ice cream sandwiches.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good job, We made it. Elvis the Gnome welcomes the Bartletts to Wroclaw.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 950 km (590 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0