Wildcamp between injune and Rolleston - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2024

Wildcamp between injune and Rolleston

We are back in proper hills again for the first time since the Warrumbungles.  Hard work, especially with the headwind, but it was cloudy and cool for most of the ride.  Some great scenery,  very little traffic and a good shoulder all combined to make it a good day on the bikes. 

The question is, where did all the heavy traffic south of Injune go?

After a series of climbs we reached our highest point about seventy kilometers north of Injune.  What followed was a downhill through a beautiful valley.  Eucalyptus forest with bottle trees and cycads.  Enormous sandstone cliffs.  It was lovely. 

Our target for the night was patch of open ground a kilometer or so off the road at the northern entrance to the valley.  We arrived there to find another cycle tourist already setup for the night.  Mark is from Melbourne and is cycling from Wilson's Promontory,  the southern most point on mainland Australia,  to Cape York,  the northern most point.  He's not taking the shortest route, heading both to Carnarvon Gorge and Canberra but in even more a zigzag manner than we are.  

Our pitch is behind a small bank of soil,  shielding us from the highway in the distance so we are looking forward to a good night's sleep after a hard but enjoyable ride.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head for a campground just outside the Carnarvon Gorge National Park. 

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 2,733 km (1,697 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Graham SmithRe traffic, may be rain further south (from where you are) has curtailed some of it.

Caravanning friends from Canberra were heading towards The Savannah Way, but only made it as far as Moree before deciding to turn back home due to the current and forecast rain
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHeavy rain in Carnarvon Gorge yesterday as well. More predicted for today.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago