La Reole to Aiguillon: along the Canal Lateral - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2010

La Reole to Aiguillon: along the Canal Lateral

La Reole to Aiguillon
Heart 0 Comment 0

WEATHER: SUNNY WITH SOME CLOUD

We left the chateau about 10:00 after an interesting tour of the winery, housed in an old stone tobacco drying barn. Stopped in La Réole at the patisserie for an apple pastry, then downhill across the bridge past some 'allotment gardens' (potagers) and along a concrete dike. Then over onto the canal path all the way to Mas d'Agenais, where we had another menu du jour lunch.

A pause for a snack along the Canal Lateral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Canal Lateral is nicely paved all along here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You don't really need many signs on a canal path, but there are plenty along here. It was pleasant cycling, but one day on the canal was enough for us--we're more interested in roads passing through villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch back on the canal path as far as Damazan, where we turned off north about 10 km before our chambre d'hôte. (This day on the canal path was flat, in contrast to the day before and the days we know are ahead.) A short way on a busy road, through Aiguillon, across a bridge over the Riviere Lot, and through the kiwi orchards to Charlan, a country house owned by Sandra and Gregg, a British couple. They had spent several years renovating this old stone farmhouse with as much period authenticity as possible. The results were very impressive, especially considering the house lacked a roof when they purchased it.

Our room was large and comfortable, and Sandra prepared a good dinner for us in the evening with some local Buzet wine and interesting conversation. We were the final guests of the season, and they were leaving for a visit to England the next day.

Far more than just a roof for comfort.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 235 km (146 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0