Day 6 Casa Grande, AZ to Tucson, AZ - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2021

Day 6 Casa Grande, AZ to Tucson, AZ

Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a rhythm now of being on the road close to 8 a.m. It is cool, sunny and with a humidity of 12!!! We have sore quads at the end of every day, but after ibuprofen and sleep, we feel okay.  Ken woke up with a cold.  Not sure where that came from with all the mask wearing.  We seemed to have a bit of a tail wind because we were going 19 miles an hour [or we have really improved our strength!  : ) ]  The ghostly mts in the distance still intrigue us.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 7
Scott AndersonPichaco Peak. Such a distinctive profile!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Scott AndersonOh, thank you for the identification!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill Shaneyfelthttps://stateparks.com/picacho_peak_state_park_in_arizona.html

Recognizable!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Bill ShaneyfeltThank you!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Devra JohnsonYes, it's Picacho Peak. It is very incredible view from the top or even to the base of the steep part, which is all the further we went. There are cables in the end to assist climbing to the top of the peak.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Fred GassWay cool image!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Barbara Ellis-QuinnWhen heading east towards our home in Portal I always begin to feel like we are almost there when we see Picacho Peak.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
We learned from friends who live in Tucson that this terrain is called Basin and Ridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sadly we saw many of these  roadside memorials.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode 50 + miles on frontage roads which were ok.  Sometimes we were between the freeway and freight trains.  After lunch at mile 52, we rode 23 miles of Bike trail through Tucson.  These paved trails are lovely!

Lunch beside the bike trail
Heart 2 Comment 2
Devra JohnsonYes, many wonderful trails in the Tucson area. Your trip so far looks a bit different than the Katie Trail....Ha ha.......a bit more grueling, but as always looks like the Gasses are enjoying and still taking advantage of their physical and mental strengths. Kudos to both of you.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Barbara Ellis-QuinnWere you riding the “Loop” which is over 50 miles of trails along the Rillito River?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
View South at the start of the trail
Heart 2 Comment 0

These lovely trails soon turned out to be treacherous because new ones had been added since we got our directions and the signage on the trails didn't match our cue sheets.  We got lost several times.  Views were nice...

Start of bike path
Heart 1 Comment 2
Barbara Ellis-QuinnYes, that looks like the Loop. Ron and I walked a small piece of that the other day while waiting for our daughter and granddaughter.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tifanie TreterLove that there are the bike trails, they look so smooth!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bat-mobiles
Heart 2 Comment 1
Fred GassBike chic!
Neat!
F.G. (but not THE F.G.)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Our Comfort Inn & Suites is in a strip mall...not appealing, but inside there are lovely courtyards and it is quiet!   We had dinner with my high school friends Phil Taylor and Linda Taufen and their partners at Linda and John's fabulous house.  We forgot to take a picture! We're having brunch together Sat just so we can document our gathering.  

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 2,409 miles (3,877 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jeanna & Kerry SmithRest day - time refill the Gass tanks. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Joe NoltingKen and Francie, I am vicariously enjoying your journey. Ride safe and continue to take lots of pics. You two are an impressive team!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
margie and steve kimberleyYay for you. Glad you have a rest day coming.
Remembering the strong winds every time we were in Casa Grande and seeing the dust clouds they stirred up.....You amaze me. Gambatte.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago