Zabrieski Point - Winterlude 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 14, 2023

Zabrieski Point

We cashed in early last night and set the alarm for 5:30, with the goal of making it to Zabrieski Point by sunrise.  Zabrieski Point, a lookout over the badlands above Golden Canyon and Gower Gulch that’s famous for having one of the best views in the park - especially at sunrise.  We visited this spot on both of our previous visits, but in the late morning both times as a stop off on our climb to Dante’s View, the stunning and dizzying overlook of Badwater Basin that sits nearly 4,500’ higher.

Zabrieski Point really is a sight to behold regardless of time of day, and we were completely awestricken both times before.  Here’s what it looked like at our last visit.  This time we were determined to see it at sunrise, on our drive out of the park.

It’s about a half hour drive to the viewpoint from Stovepipe Wells, and sunrise is currently at about 6:50.  We were hoping to get caffeinated, through our morning routine, packed and on the road before 6:30, and we nearly were.  it was right at 6:30 when we left the lot after checking out at the office.  We won’t be making it by sunrise, but with the rim of the Amargosa Range rising several thousand feet above the viewpoint it seemed like we should arrive at just about the right time for the best effect.

It’s near enough to dawn that the valley is light for the drive and there’s virtually no one else on the road, so the drive goes fast.  We arrive at the viewpoint parking lot after stopping only once on the way, for a quick shot at the Panamint Range, reddened already by the sun still below the horizon.  When we park and get out it looks like we’ve really nailed it - the sun hasn’t appeared above the range behind us yet, and the short path up to the viewpoint is still in the shadows.

We quickly get out of the car and start walking to the rim, almost exactly at the time the sun breaks over the horizon.

The Panamint Range.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Zabrieski Point, 7:13 AM.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsIt would appear you weren't the only ones with the idea of being there at sunup. That looks to be as many people as you've seen in total over the past couple days.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThat’s true, if you don’t count dinner at the Last Kind Place Saloon. Zabrieski Point is only about two miles from Furnace Creek, the booming cultural epicenter of the park. Easy for those folks to get up here - dash up for the sunrise and then drop back down for breakfast. We’d have stayed there too if it weren’t nearly twice as expensive.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We quickly get out of the car and start walking to the rim, almost exactly at the time the sun breaks over the horizon.  The colors are so striking that I slow down to take a few shots on the way up.

Zabrieski Point, 7:14 AM.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Zabrieski Point.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Team Anderson at Zabrieski Point, staring at the Red Cathedral.
Heart 5 Comment 0
At this time of day it’s clear where the Red Cathedral gets its name.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So we’ve done well; but not perfectly.  As we walk up, a few folks are already folding their tripods and walking down.  Peak color looks like it was probably just about the time we were pulling into the parking lot, and has already passed.  It’s a good thing I stopped for a few shots on the way up, because it’s changing before our eyes as we stand at the rim and take in the wonderful scene.

I’m not really sure if we’re standing on Zabrieski Point or looking at it, but I think the latter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pointing at the Panamint Range.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraWhat a surreal landscape.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraIt is, but just one out of many down here. Sometime I’d like to come back and take the walking loop all the wa6 through these badlands. We really only scratched the surface this time.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Not really red any more.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Were there for at most twenty minutes, taking it all in as the scene rapidly changes with the rising sun - shadows intensify, lower formations become illuminated for the first time, color intensity of the badlands and the Panamint Range gradually diminishes.  

Heart 3 Comment 0
Compare this and the following images against the ones taken just twenty minutes earlier. Its really. Fast changing spectacle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We finally leave because we’re getting too cold.  Rachael heads down to the restroom and the car first, and I follow a few minutes later.  I would have been smart to have worn long pants and a coat.  Walking down myself, I stuff my hands in my pants pockets for some warmth and am reminded of something I forgot about until it was nearly too late: I promised the GBO that I’d let him out to see some of Death Valley if he’d open a few bottles for me.  I took him along to Badwater and Artists Drive, but forgot then; and I nearly forgot this morning.  My hands are cold still, but I’m honor-bound to do the right thing.  I stop long enough to find a crevice to prop him up, take a quick shot, and hustle down to the warmth of the car.

Promise made, promise kept.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rich FrasierLet it be known that you are a man of your word. Well done!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0