Team of five - Winterlude 2023 - CycleBlaze

January 10, 2024

Team of five

So this is just another ride up Treat Street and east on the Loop along Rillito Wash - a ride we’ve seen before just a few days ago, so there’s not much important to say about it.  No roadrunners or other interesting bird or wildlife sightings, for example.  And no family drama, unless you count the fact that Rachael forgot her jacket at a pit stop and I had to go back for it, rescuing it from a cute puppy nosing at a sleeve wondering if it was his new chew toy.

Still though, there’s always something worth reporting.  For example, Susan was here.  She rode over from her apartment less than two blocks away, brought her bike Vivian George inside until we were ready to leave, and then proceeded to photobomb my shot of it next to Rachael keeping herself warm by the heater.

Look at me, I’m flying!
Heart 8 Comment 0

And, there’s the news that Janice showed up to join us.  This will be the second time we’ve ridden with Janice, after our first time with her here last winter.

Heart 6 Comment 0

And she dragged Barry along for the ride.  This is a first for us, since he was feeling indisposed last winter and missed the earlier ride.

It’s this ride here: SJ Treat street OAB. The SJ stands for Susan and Janice, obviously,
Heart 5 Comment 0
OK. Can we please go now?
Heart 9 Comment 1
Keith AdamsSusan's just *radiating* her pleasure at being with you all, isn't she? Lovely to see.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

The ride through the university campus and north on Treat were the usual delight, but it was even more fun this time to be riding it as a long, strung-out train.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

As soon as we reached the Loop we stopped and took plenty of time to admire the long new mural that we showed you earlier.  While we’re stopped, Susan impressed us all by biking along with one hand, holding the phone in the other to create a slow, panning view of the mural.  We hope you appreciate her doing this for your viewing pleasure, and share in our relief that she didn’t lose control and tumble down into the wash - although it would have made for some exciting footage on the descent!

And I hope you appreciate that in doing this she captured an action shot of Kelly, who just happened to be coming our way at the same time.  You’ll notice that there’s no visible reaction from either one of them as they pass each other, unsurprisingly since they’d never met before today.  I had to holler to Susan to come back and get aquainted.

Impressive!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Something tells me it’s all happening on the Loop. I do believe it, I do believe it’s true!
Heart 9 Comment 2
Jen RahnWhat a great photo!

And I know there's a happy photographer on the other side of the lens. 🐸
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamFlock of the day
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

And then we continued upwash, with a brief stop to use the loo and another soon after for me to bike back and rescue Rachael’s jacket.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rich FrasierLove the matching socks!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierWoah, thanks for noticing!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We biked as far as Speedway, where the southside trail ends.  We could have crossed the bridge and continued on the other side, but the route I’d mapped out said to turn back here, and so we did.

On the way back, we overshot our route so that Rachael could video us passing the mural.  And then we biked back past it again two miles later, so there was time for Rachael to swap out the dead battery in her GoPro so she could try again.

Heart 3 Comment 0

And then we biked home - back down Treat Street and through the University, and then past Susan’s house so she could drop her bike off and change clothes, etc.  And then the other four of us biked to our place so the Branhams could load their bikes into their motorized vehicle, everyone could change clothes, etc.

And then we all drove to Locale for an early dinner, where Barry and Janice impressed us by both ordering desserts large enough to share with friends, which one of them did but found no takers as the other three were beyond stuffed already.

And then at the last minute as we’re walking to the car Susan remembered that we should really have a photo of the five of us to remember this excellent day by.  Thanks, Susan - for remembering this, and for creating the cool mural video, and for supplying several of the photos shown here.

And thanks to you too Janice and Barry, for joining us on this excellent day and for modeling those delicious-looking desserts so we’ll know to save some room next time!

We Five. And does anyone else out there remember that folk-rock group from nearly sixty years ago?
Heart 11 Comment 5
Kelly IniguezGreat photo of you all! Our fly by meeting was serendipitous.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jen RahnExcellent!

Wonderful to see youse all together.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamFun with the fab five. I remembered too late that it was our turn to pick up the check after our last meetup in Valencia. Looking forward to a do-over on that - perhaps at the Coyote Pause Cafe.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamArgh! I forgot that you owed us one! I won’t forget next time.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretWe Five! Yes! Thanks for the reminder of how old we REALLY are! :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Video sound track: Grandfather’s Waltz, by Stan Getz

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,067 miles (1,717 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonGreat seeing all of you on your bikes!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamNice round-up of pics from all the photographers.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago