Goat Rock Beach - Winterlude 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 1, 2023

Goat Rock Beach

We’re both antsy to get back on the bikes - especially Rachael, who hasn’t really been on hers since we returned from Spain over a month ago.  It’s the longest she’s been out of the saddle for years.  And with a short drive tomorrow that will leave us most of the day free, we’ve been planning on a pair of rides from Jenner.  Back in Portland I mapped out four candidates for us to consider when the time comes.

Well, considering time is here and we reject all four of them.  The main thing we want to see here is the beach really, so we need to fit a walk in somewhere.  And it’s chilly enough that we’re not likely to take a walk and a bike ride both on the same day.  And, the weather situation has deteriorated - we’d been expecting two days of sun, but now it looks like rain will arrive later this afternoon, and stay around through tomorrow.

Our priority is a walk though, so that’s what we’ll do today and then hope we get lucky with the weather tomorrow.  As soon as we’ve done with our spectacular breakfast and it feels warm enough we hop in the car and drive the short distance to Goat Rock Beach at lands end on the opposite bank of the bay.  The plan is that we’ll drive down to the beach itself and walk along the sand for awhile before relocating higher up for a hike I’ve mapped out along the Kortum Trail.

The beach hike is a huge success.  The landscape is breathtaking and it’s a delight to watch a large flock of gulls feeding in the mouth of the river, joined by a steady stream of brown pelicans flying in from the south, hanging out for awhile, and then returning the direction they arrived from.  On the water the pelicans beat their massive wings against it, making a loud slapping sound that can be heard from a hundred yards away.

Looking toward the mouth of the river along Goat Rock beach.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Camera crew.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraIs that a vulture in the background?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonYup. Good spotting! You could be n old world vulture yourself!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Common goldeneye, like we just saw up on the Columbia. They get around.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Brown pelicans, ring-billed gulls.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsOne of those gulls is not like the others, or doesn't seem to be: the one at the lower right has different colors on the wing feathers and a dark beak rather than yellow. Is it a different species, different gender, or different age (juvenile), do you think?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYup. Juvenile, in his first winter coat.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
I wonder what the water-slapping behavior is about. Maybe they’re trying to stun the fish, hoping they’ll float to the surface for an easy meal?
Heart 5 Comment 0
A view toward Jenner.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jen RahnI would love to see a time lapse photo series of the construction of this structure.

A very handsome structure!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnOh, shoot. I didn’t think to do that when I whipped this thing together for the shot.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
A clearer view. Jenner By The Sea is actually by the bay instead.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the mouth of the river.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rich FrasierSuch a beautiful place!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
It’s a dramatic spot.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Janice BranhamWow. We totally missed this last summer on our ride down the northern CA coast. I want a do-over.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamThe California coast has so many exceptional spots, but this one’s really worth seeking out.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Another look. Its a view that wears well.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Gull shadow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What? One more?
Heart 5 Comment 0
Easy to get a shot with a pelican in it. They’re flying back and forth constantly from the mouth of the river to someplace down the coast.
Heart 4 Comment 0
No-name rock.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Let’s have another look at that haircut.
Heart 10 Comment 9
Susan CarpenterBirthday boy is looking pretty jaunty in your shades and newly shorn locks! Happy Birthday.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Suzanne GibsonLooking rejuvenated on your birthday. Happy birthday!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Patrick O'HaraLooking good Mr. Anderson.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kelly IniguezA fine way to celebrate the day!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jacquie GaudetExcellent birthday portrait! It seems you had a nice day.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetYup. Even without getting on the bike it was an excellent day. I’ve biked down this coast three times now but never stopped to take any of these side roads.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jen RahnA beautiful place to be on your birthday!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezIt was pretty great, alright. Say, when will you be coming back down to Tucson again?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott AndersonI'm here now. It's suppose to be 80 degrees this week - that's a fine temperature after the weekend rain/cool down. Jacinto was here for Thanksgiving and will be back for Christmas. He just went back to work last week and was VERY happy to be there. I don't think I'm going to get him to retire any time soon. He is now talking about having his other shoulder done this coming summer, which would nix any touring plans at all. So . . . .
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Wolf mask.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraBefore I saw the caption, I thought the same thing. Quite a remarkable likeness.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraIsn’t it though? We saw this from about fifty feet above. Quite a large mask.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

We’re down on the beach for nearly two hours - longer than we’d intended because it’s so exceptional.  By now though Rachael’s gotten cold enough from the wind that she’s ready to head back to the room and hover by the small space heater.  I drive her back, and then leave alone to go back and walk the Kortum Trail.  Rachael’s not done with her day of course, and will later leave herself for a walk along the coast and up to a viewpoint, and return with stories of locked gates, trespassing, and cows.  Perhaps she’ll share them with us someday.

The Kortum Trail is roughly five miles long, so a ten mile out and back if I were to walk the whole thing - which I won’t because even with ibuprofen and the fading benefit from that steroid shot back in August, ten miles here plus a few in the sand is more than the joint would bear unless it were a desperate situation.  Which it isn’t.  It’s my birthday actually, so I’m being nice to myself and only walk as far as feels right before turning around.  And besides, rain is due to roll in.  And it does, beginning just as I’m driving back to the car, and about an hour and a half before a soaked Rachel steps in the door dripping on everything and talking about cows.

For dinner we drive back to Duncan’s Mills and the Cape Fear cafe, which is quite a bit better than than the blue Heron.  Rachael has Mahogany chicken, and I have a bowl of clam chowder followed by an embarrassingly large serving of fish and chips which makes me feel like I might rupture when I’m done.  The drive back in the pitch dark is like last night’s but worse because we’re driving through a downpour.

Starting off on the second part of the hike, atop the elevated bench above the sea.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view across the mouth of the Russian River. The large rock thinly attached to the land is Goat Rock.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mystery shrub.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Kathleen JonesProbably coyote brush or bush. It provides our “snow” this time of year. Baccharis pilularis.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Bruce LellmanCould be sawtooth goldenbush. Hazardia squarrosa
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI’m pretty sure Kathleen has it right on this one: Baccharis pilularis, Coyote brush.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesLooks convincing. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonYeah, she's right. I should stick to the hemisphere I'm in.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
White crowned sparrow. There aren’t many birds along the trail, but there are dozens of these.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Arched Rock. It’s arched alright, but you’d never know it from this angle. Still interesting though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So here’s where they all hang out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some cuteness long the way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sunset Boulders.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jen RahnHow handy that the tiny humans placed themselves here for perspective!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYes, and you might have noticed and that some are waving at me.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Another look back.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mammoth Rock is pretty big, but I’m not seeing the mammoth.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A reasonable spot to turn back. Its starting to feel like it could rain soon.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Eva WaltersHappy Birthday Scott! Hope the weather improves as you go south.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesA very Happy Birthday Scott. Hoping the knee holds up, and the weather improves. Have you considered a soft pull on knee brace for when you are walking? Offers some support and also keeps the joint warm. Dodie found these very helpful in the earlier stages of knee deterioration, that is until she hit bone on bone. Then surgery was the only fix.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Bruce LellmanHappy Birthday, Scott!!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jen RahnHere's to this wonderful day and all that lies ahead in this Birthday Season!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThanks! Good so far!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago