To Morro - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2023

To Morro

One step forward, one step back.  Maybe I was overly optimistic yesterday and today, because my ankle seems no better and maybe even a bit worse by the end of the day.  The modest swelling seems about the same too.  So that’s discouraging - but what did I expect?  Everything I’ve seen says to expect one to two weeks for a Grade 1 ankle sprain recovery, and it’s only been three days.  Patience, jackass, patience.

The plan for the day is different from the last two.  It’s a moving day, which chops things up enough that Rachael takes a break from her routine of long walks and keeps me company instead.  The day starts slowly with us taking our time packing up and checking out of the room because we can’t check in at Morro Bay until mid-afternoon.  We don’t need much time for the 15 mile drive to the coast so we have some time to fill.  We end up with the plan to go to Morro Bay State Park and walk the Peninsula Trail that I visited yesterday, and then head over to the Morro Bay waterfront and find a restaurant to make lunch the main meal of the day.

I’m not really expecting to see many new birds on the Peninsula Trail since I was just there at about the same time yesterday, but there are a couple of new sightings to add to the list including a solitary sandpiper that’s just right beneath our feet.  And it’s a beautiful place for a slow shuffle.

In Morro Bay State Park.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Surprising to see red-shouldered hawks two days in a row after seeing none for 76 years.
Heart 5 Comment 0
On the Marina Peninsula Loop Trail.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsOh, when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof
And your shoes get so hot you wish your tired feet were fire proof
Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah
On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be
Out of the sun
(Under the boardwalk) We'll be havin' some fun
(Under the boardwalk) People walking above
(Under the boardwalk) We'll be fallin' in love
(Under the boardwalk) Yeah (boardwalk)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another California towhee, showing the complete bird this time. Yesterday’s was missing the bill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another new discovery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lemonade berry (Rhus integrifolia). An indigenous species for a nice change, naturally occurring from the Southern California coast south to northern Baja.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The shorebirds are more active and dispersed today, but still so far out that identification of anything smaller than the egrets and herons isn’t really possible with the tools at hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
79. Solitary sandpiper
Heart 4 Comment 0
80. Greater scaup
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrive at waterfront row around noon, too early for the meal we planned so we fill an hour walking along the pier checking out attractions.  I was thrilled to see a wintering loon close-up, a bird I associate with the far north and hadn’t expected; but the stars of the show are undoubtedly the sea otters - especially an unbearably cute one that seems little more than a pet drifting in a corner of the marina like ITV’s his own private bathtub, floating on his back and shielding his eyes from the sun.

And lunch is excellent, sitting outside at a table partly shielded from the surprisingly hot sun and enjoying our plates of blackened rockfish, sipping at my glass of Albariño, listening to the ceaseless din of the sea lions weighing down a raft offshore and watching for the next otter to slowly drift by.

Waiting for lunch, Morro Bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mammal #3: Sea otter.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mammal #4: Sea lion.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesProbably California sea lion.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesStands to reason, alright.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
81. Common loon
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aah. It’s an otter’s life.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eared grebe with eel.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After checking in to our motel I prop up my leg on the bed while Rachael unloads the car and then we relax for a few hours before driving down to Morro Rock to walk the beach and enjoy the sunset.  I’d been hoping to see more birds here in addition to the watching the sky light up, but was surprised to see only a few western gulls and just three wading birds working the line of the incoming tide.  When I zoom in on them though I’m pleased to see that they are all different, and close enough for a much better look than I got of these species out at the state park yesterday. 

At Morro Bay. This really is a beautiful stretch of the coast. All of San Luis Obispo County is quite exceptional, really. It’s becoming a favorite part of California for us, attractive in multiple ways.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Morro Rock Beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
82. Willet
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsOr willet not?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Whimbrel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Long-billed curlew.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Susan Carpenter Great shot - I really like way the light captures the contrasting textures of the bird and the beach
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Compare the beaks! This would make a good slide for a birding class.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesI like how the different lengths mean then eat different things at different levels, mitigating competition.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
At Morro Bay.
Heart 7 Comment 0

____________________ 

2023 Bird List

     79. Solitary sandpiper

     80. Greater scaup

     81. Common loon

     82. Willet

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltToday's title reminded me of Little Orphan Annie's song.
"It's only a day a waaaaay!"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltGood job! I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I’ve had that song running through my head for two days, and almost built a snippet of its lyrics into the narrative.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonJust seemed too close to be a coincidence.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsBill beat me to it but I'm definitely right there with you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago