Harrison Parkway - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 16, 2021

Harrison Parkway

Well, that resolution didn’t last long.  Maybe I’ll just make really brief posts.  Here’s one.  An out and back along the northeast corner of the loop.  Weather was a little chilly when we started out, but on the warm side by the time we got home.  Much busier on the trail today, now that conditions have improved.

Other than a lengthy chat with an interesting and well travelled man earlier on the ride, we mostly just biked.  Great ride, great to be back in Tucson.

Along the Rillito River: “Over There”, a new trailside work of art since we were here last winter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along Sellarole Street.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNice kestrel shot!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI was pleased with this one too. The light and setting make it. This one and the Harris’s hawk were taken within a hundred yards of each other.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Along Sellarole Street.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltIs it maybe a Harris's hawk?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Harriss_Hawk/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for doing the research. I’d been meaning to check for hawks with that white band at the end of the tail. I think you’re probably right. It must be an immature one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
It’s been windy of late.
Heart 2 Comment 2
marilyn swettThose things are nasty and stickery! I remember one tour when the wind was blowing them into our legs. You have all the makings of a tumbleweed snowman!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great idea to make a tumbleweed snowman!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rincon Peak, from the Harrison Greenway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There’s a spot on the Harrison Greenway where you have an excellent view of three of the four ranges that box in Tucson. From the top: the Santa Rita Mountains to the south, the Rincon Mountains to the east, and the Catalina Mountains and Mount Lemmon to the north. The Tucson Mountains to the west are barely visible also.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch stop, Harrison Greenway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way home, coasting back down the Harrison Greenway. In my opinion this is the best view of Mount Lemmon on the whole loop.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezHarrison Greenway and Julian Parkway over by the arch are my two favorite spots in the whole loop!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Deftly skirting the latest trail hazard. You have to be ever vigilant - yesterday a rattlesnake, today it’s tumbleweeds.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Video sound track: I Can See Clearly Now, by Johnny Nash 

For dinner we walked down to El Charro, one of Rachael’s favorite Mexican places anywhere.  A restaurant that’s been in business for 99 years this year, it’s very popular, takes no reservations, and left us waiting about a half hour for a table.  Which was fine - it’s a beautiful clear night, the moon is almost full and Mount Lemmon is glowing an incredible shade of red in the sunset, and there’s a new mural nearby to assess while we kill time.

And we’ve made our peace with our apartment.  We’ve moved some furniture around to creat a more livable arrangement, and we’re really appreciating the central location.  We haven’t been in the car since we arrived.

The huge Epic Rides mural by Joe Pagac is one of the largest and best known murals in the city - I’ve even seen a bike jersey with part of this mural as the print design. This is the first time we’ve been able to get a clear view of the entire mural, because a road construction project has opened up the view.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Lednar De NallohWow...Brilliant
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lednar De NallohIt is, really. The photo doesn’t quite make clear it’s scale either - it’s 130 feet by 30, and large enough that it’s allegedly visible from the peak of one of the small nearby mountains.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
On Court Ave,.a new mural this year by Joe Pagac and others honoring the Tour of Tucson bicycle event. Almost a block wide, I had to shoot it in two pieces to get it all in. I especially like the quail family and the centipede.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezHow did you get home? This doesn't show a loop?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezYou’re right - it’s not a loop. It’s an out and back.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott AndersonYou’d think I could figure that out!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Ride stats today: 48 miles, 1,100’

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 638 miles (1,027 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonGlad you decided to skip the vacation from journaling!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettLove the pics, Scott! I'm so jealous. I'm already tired of the cold here. How long will you be in Tucson? We're actually headed down there again next month. Don got 10 days at Catalina SP which is unheard of at the last minute. Maybe we can hook up on the trail somewhere if you're still in town. Although we'll be a ways from you guys in the park.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettWe’re down here for roughly six weeks, and will head north on January 24th. When will you be down again?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettWe'll be there Jan 5 through the 16th.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago