Whinlatter mtb park - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2018

Whinlatter mtb park

Saturday rolls around again and it's moving day. But first, parkrun and Whinlatter. We coerce the van out of its carpark and squeeze our way into Keswick (seriously, there's no room to breathe on these roads). 

Keswick parkrun is an unmemorable out-and-back, flat course along the Keswick Railway Path. A quick check of its website now tells me that I finished 138th out of 145 - not particularly flattering. But as parkrunners tend to say, at least I'm off the couch. 

Whinlatter mountain bike park is back to its usual sleepy self this morning. We do a circuit of Quercus, the blue loop, and call it quits. There's time for some sight-seeing before we drive south so I visit Wordsworth's Dove Cottage and museum at Grasmere. This is a real highlight. The knowledgeable  young guide had a captive audience in the three of us in the group.

Dove Cottage
Heart 0 Comment 0

The drive south is best forgotten - but easier said than done. A missed motorway exit and multiple road closures meant we were a couple of hours late to Cavendish Cottage, our home for the next four nights.

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 436 km (271 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0