Day 73: Valencia to Cobble Hill - Grampies Cross Europe Germany to Spain Fall 2023 - CycleBlaze

November 7, 2023

Day 73: Valencia to Cobble Hill

We got up at 2 a.m., to be ready for our 6 a.m. flight from Valencia. That's a little excessive, but they do often ask passengers to arrive 3 hours early for especially international flights, so our walk to the airport putting us there at 3 a.m. was technically ok. As it happens, Air France did not show up at the kiosks until 4 a.m. and we then had a nice long wait for the actual boarding. The gate arrangement was unusual in that it had no seating,  just tape demarcating a waiting line. No matter, we joined two ladies who had arrived in wheelchairs, and who were dropped at the head of the line that would eventually form. Dodie's stick and genuine difficulty with long airport walks usually qualifies us for advance boarding and later assistance in moving through airports.

This time we were going Air France all the way, with a hop first to Paris, and then direct to Vancouver. In simplistic terms, it looks like the maps below. These have little information, but do illustrate that it's quite far to home.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Getting to Paris was easy enough, but the "fun" really began once we landed there. We were coming in on a European flight and proposing to go out on a long distance international one. In Charles de Gaulle airport that is apparently a tall order, but we did have 2 hours to make the transfer.

We had asked for assistance, and the procedure started out great. A large specialized vehicle was brought up to the back of the plane, and we walked straight off into its seating. It drove us away, with several very personable staffers along, and eventually it lowered itself down so we could walk straight into some sort of lounge. Equally personable staffers took our boarding passes, and soon we were on another shuttle. This dropped us "somewhere", as our boarding passes were handed off, and Dodie got wheel chaired up and down several elevators, to - some other place, where our passes were handed off and  we got into a shuttle that drove for a long time to ... somewhere. The exact number of boarding pass handoffs and personable staffers is a blur now, but we were deposited at last in a lounge, where our previous staffer handed off our passes to a lady at  a desk. This lady had piles of boarding passes on the desk, that she periodically shuffled. She would then call out names, and other people needing assistance would then be met by personable staffers and be spirited away in shuttle vans. The person who had brought us to the lounge had meanwhile disappeared, so the desk lady was it. But at least we had spotted that our passes had gone to her. And there we sat, for about 40 minutes, until I observed that our flight to Vancouver was now boarding. We sent first me and then Dodie to consult with the desk lady, and were both told to stay cool and wait.

Eventually a further blur of vans and in-terminal electric conveyances ensued, somewhere including a line up to clear immigration. We eventually arrived at our gate, where we got to be the last ones onto the plane!

Charles de Gaulle is a maze
Heart 0 Comment 0
Air France has dozens (hundreds?) of its planes here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just where is this shuttle van going?
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we walked down the aisle of the plane to our seats, a personable flight attendant asked how we were doing. "Rotten!" (or equivalent) complained Dodie, to  the dismay of the poor lady. But to the credit of Air France, sometime before the actual take off, a (yes again) very personable flight attendant appeared and crouched beside us. She had been given to understand that we somehow were not happy, and she wanted to understand the problem. So we recounted the story of the multiple shuttle busses and lounges and staffers, the boarding pass shell game, and most particularly the fact that we were never told what was going on.

The lady absorbed all this, and reappeared later in the flight to say that she had written and filed a report on the thing. Interestingly her focus on what the problem was was that we had been kept in the dark about what was happening and about who had our boarding passes now, and why. However when I suggested that one good metric was that all this staff and all these vans had taken over 2 hours to move us from plane A to plane B, she balked. She explained that at CDG it could easily and legitimately take two hours to go from A to B. She recommended that maybe 3 hours would be more reasonable for anyone hoping to change planes at CDG . Yikes!

Beyond this, the Air France staff were all nice, the seats good, seat back entertainment good, and food excellent. But next time if we can stay away from CDG, we will.

Vancouver's airport was noticeably cleaner, brighter, and better organized than either Valencia or Paris. As usual we noticed the extensive use of indigenous carving, which is something we look on as an unfair cultural appropriation. In fact, the statues below, for example, seem none too pleased to be greeting the hoards of foreigners.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Although we think we have been quick learners with transit systems,such as the Valencia metro, it was pleasant to know exactly what we were doing/where we were going in shifting from Vancouver airport to the ferry and home.

At the ferry terminal, gulls and cormorants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our friend Sandra picked us  up when the ferry arrived, for the run to home. So sweet!

The weather on Vancouver Island was sunny and 10 degrees today, something Sandra tells us has not been the case recently, and which will not last. The house, of course, felt terribly cold, but a fire in the wood stove is fixing that .

That's it for now, but stay tuned for the customary summary and analysis of costs.  And then, watch for us to be back on the road, real soon.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Suzanne GibsonGlad you got home safely after the long haul! It was great following you on your tour, lots of information for us for potential cycling in Spain, too. Thanks. I'm sure your stay at home will feel good, at least for a while, and then you will be off again!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonAlthough we will adjust to, and even enjoy, being back home, for now we are really not happy to be here. It feels more like an enforced interlude until we can get back to another cycling adventure. Oh well, there is always planning and preparation to occupy us.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Jacquie GaudetInteresting that you were told 3 hours is suggested for transfers at CDG. When I’ve been researching flights, many itineraries from YVR to elsewhere in France feature only 70 minutes between flights at CDG, even when the first is arriving from outside Europe. Obviously, I would never choose one of those.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetBased on our experience we would never again take any transfer flights through CDG that had less than 3 hours between arrival and departure. Even that timing could be tight if one was trying to navigate on one's own through the convoluted and extensive facility. Probably, unless Paris is the end point, avoiding CDG altogether would be wise, and is certainly our intention for the future.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesMy list of airports to avoid as transfer points is getting long. It used to just be anywhere in the US but now includes Zurich and CDG. Toronto’s not that great either but Zurich is currently top of my list.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Tricia GrahamWe had a somewhat similar expulsion at CDG even though We weren’t changing flight. I was dropped off at the Emirates lounge every one was told to go to the gate and the lounge was now empty but my man hadn’t come to pick me up We kept getting reassured but were beginning to panic and thought I would have to try and walk ( almost impossible). Then he arrived telling us the wheelchair had broken down! Luckily the flight had been delayed so we made it
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Karen PoretGlad to read you arrived back in the safety zone of HOME…for now..
Thank you for your adventures in print and photos which were greatly enjoyed by those of us in the seating area of our own homes.( mostly).
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Patrick O'HaraWelcome back to the land of the lotus eaters. Great journal. Enjoyed following along.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesLotus might be a better deal here than oranges. I just nostalgically made 1 liter of fresh juice and the oranges cost $9!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kelly IniguezEnjoy sleeping in your own bed and your own pillow. Two of my favorite at home activities!

Thank you for the informative journaling. I frequently reference you when planning our next tour.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamI second Kelly's thoughts, on pillows and your excellent journal. I enjoyed following your trip.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kelly IniguezI just read a comment elsewhere about how much they spent per mile on their tour, which was the Great Divide MTB route. He said pre COVID he spent $1. a mile , post COVID, $3. Per mile.

I’ve never figured it by the mile before, only by the day.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago