Day 68: Sagunto to Valencia - Grampies Cross Europe Germany to Spain Fall 2023 - CycleBlaze

November 3, 2023

Day 68: Sagunto to Valencia

Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis is interesting too. I compared our routes. We took almost entirely different routes, riding the same streets for only two blocks, at the midpoint in Meliana. Yours was 30 km, ours was 30 miles.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonGiven the terrifying headwind it is a good thing we chose the shorter route. Thirty miles, 50 km, would have just about finished us off.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Sometimes when Cycleblazers pass through the same places we can say "Hey, I took that exact same shot", but other times experiences in the same placed differ widely. When we read about the issues that Scott and Rachael had with their BnB in Sagunto, we hoped that we would not be in the same place. Then when all went well, and the BnB hostess was so sweet, we felt we had dodged the bullet. But Scott now reports that yes, we were in the same place.  Perhaps the lady has changed some procedures, based on the Andersons. For example, she personally led us around the block to store our bikes, and did not attempt to explain the layout with the back of her phone. And she was up and yattering with colleague in the kitchen  long before the 8 a.m. official caffeine start time. 

The BnB itself was nice - with plants and a pool, a sitting room, marble stairs, big room, - it was fine.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonHuh. I don’t recognize anything about this place. Not the pool, not the dining hall, and neither of the ladies. I forget things pretty quickly any more, but not that fast. I don’t think it’s where we stayed after all.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Our table is ready to go.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The BnB ladies were very sweet to us, asked all about our trips, and finally both came into the alley to wave goodbye.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonNo, I’m wrong. It was the same place we stayed - Rachael looked at the photos and confirmed it. I’m not sure either of these was the woman at breakfast though.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonYou maybe hit a weird hostess having a bad day, because the ladies we met were really sweet and kind to us.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Breakfast was lots, though more cold cuts than we would eat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We talked about the Andersons and transmitted their greetings. To be honest, the ladies needed some prodding to admit that they remembered. Sorry Andersons. We know that it is a stoke of luck when anyone can cross paths with the Andersons (or Grampies) but in some rare cases we may not have the impact we expect.

Rachael, is this the coffee machine at the heart of the coffee dispute?
Heart 1 Comment 0

We pedaled out of Sagunto, looking back and thinking it would be spectacular to be coming into town, and observing the battlements on high.

The castle above the town.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSame castle though. We’re at least talking about the same town.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The walls are very long, circling the whole hilltop no doubt.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dodie thinks these caves in the cliff may have been Jewish burial sites.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonProbably so. There’s a different section of them on the walk up by the Roman forum and there’s an information panel describing them as such.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThought we recognized them from the photo in your blog.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Now it was time to head off through the oranges again. Some harvesting was going on (other than what we might have done), and some planting and weeding as well.  We love watching this stuff.

Heart 2 Comment 0
A new planting
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were surprised to see that a lot of still green oranges were harvested.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many trees were under netting like this. Does anyone know the purpose?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Mark BinghamMy understanding is that it keeps bees from cross-pollinating, and produces seedless fruit.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mark BinghamThanks, Mark. That explanation makes a lot of sense.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo keep the Grampies off... lol
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Our track was car free and really nice, but it did involves some twisting about.  Here is a view from our GPS screen, you see that we need to thread a way through spaghetti.

Heart 1 Comment 0
We finally arrived at the start of the via verde (Via Xurra), which we hoped would take us all the way into Valencia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The way, at least at first, was really nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

To our joy and amazement, the path went at one point right beside a pomegranate orchard. The fruits were large and ripe - overripe actually, but many were in good condition.

Heart 1 Comment 0
See the cracked open ones.
Heart 3 Comment 0
But some were perfect!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here is a random building over to the side of the path. It is clearly a church or monastery.

Heart 2 Comment 0

EV 8 signage was to be found along the way, but other types of signage as well. For example on the one below we find we are on the road of El Cid.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We often saw this sign in the last days. Can anyone explain it for us?

Heart 1 Comment 5
Scott AndersonIt’s hard to look this one up because you keep getting references to the country, but I finally found one. It means ‘cattle track’, so I suppose it’s a warning that cattle may be driven across the road here.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWe still prefer to look at these signs as recognition of our country, but a herd of cattle would be fun to see also.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kelly IniguezThe equivalent of open range signs in the western USA?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kelly IniguezNot sure if the cattle are actually free to roam at will, but maybe they can be moved accross the road from one pasture to another-so watch out for them.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezI think it’s a little more directed than that. I think they’re posted at identified spots where cattle are driven.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

We now arrive at what in fact was the biggest thing affecting our day today. It was just simply a wind. This was not just a typical annoying head wind, this was a serious and potentially dangerous high wind. The gusts were to 70 kph. This is "gale force". In the photo below, you see Dodie pushing the bike on a dead flat bike path.  The wind is coming at this point from the front right. At some times we tried to ride, but it was tough. Also there were a couple of runners going our way, and we sometimes passed them, but they also passed us when we could no longer ride. A problem was that they seemed to favour running just right of the white line. If we were riding, we had a hard time avoiding being blown into them.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, Dodie just flat out got blown over, and she was not even riding! I could not have gone to help her lift her bike, without dropping my own, because it could not stay up with its stand. But she dragged her bike  back vertical on her own.

We made  it into the outskirts of the city, but even with buildings around the wind was not giving up. Finally it blew me over too. I was riding slowly at the time.  Dodie saw me somehow away from my bike on a backward glance, and cautioned me to stick with the bike. What she did not know was that I had been thrown away from it.

Hey, don't leave your bike just lying around!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's overdramatising, but I will note that I bled all over my shirt.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mark BinghamCleaning tip: hydrogen peroxide will get rid of the blood without damaging the material. It lyses the red blood cells and it's like magic... poof! it's gone!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mark BinghamWhat an easy, and clever, fix. We will give it a try.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Just a side note. In Toulouse it seemed like the whole population was comprised of Millennials. Here they seem to be aging Boomers.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretMaybe they are huddled together to keep from getting blown over!
( with age comes wisdom.. usually)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretCould well be-the wind has been brutally fierce the last few days.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

A big feature of Valencia is a long park running over the north side of the old town. There are all kinds of bike lanes running through this park, and many bridges that join the north and south sides of town, across the park. This park will be our greenway to the City of Arts and Sciences in the south east corner of town.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our hotel is in a nondescript modern bit, just on the "wrong" side of the greenway. But it is positioned quite well for getting to the old town. I had a bit of a crack at this this afternoon, when it seemed the bike storage we had begun to arrange from home was going to fall though. I began to look for an alternative, and spotted one possibility just outside the old town. Taking a GPS and leaving Dodie to sort through gear, I set off on foot. I did see one sort of large tower, but so far Valencia has not wowed me with old town splendors. Maybe tomorrow! Also, the GPS led me to an address featuring exactly nothing. That is not the first time Google Maps has misled.

The tower
Heart 4 Comment 0
The (not) bike storage.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I was able to include Decathlon in my trek, and found there Joni's favourite little back pack, on which the zipper had broken. She will now get a surprise replacement.

Heart 2 Comment 0

And oh, while I was waiting for Dodie to do the check in at the hotel, my front tire went flat! That partly accounts for why I was walking around the town after that. But I patched the tube now, using one of those new fangled press on patches. It seemed pretty good, actually, but tomorrow morning will tell if the pressure is still there.

We ended our day with oranges and pomegranates, pilfered fresh from the orchards. Wow, they were so good!!

Heart 2 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltMessy to prepare, but oh so yummy!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYeah, I have watched how to videos now and then for years, but still always a mess. But very good, and highly nutritious!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 3,390 km (2,105 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Suzanne GibsonI wonder how this entry looks on other people's screens. I see no pictures except for the giant one and the page is very wide, much wider than the text. Everything else on CB is normal for me.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Suzanne GibsonIt’s the same as yours Suzanne.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYes it's bizarre. In "edit" I see the pictures but just viewing the blog, only that giant one. I will write to Jeff and see if he can fix it.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonIt has now been fixed thanks to Jeff's usual rapid response time.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenThanks for confirming the problem. It is now (next morning) fixed and should be ready to be viewed, and hopefully enjoyed.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Suzanne GibsonGlad we got to see your pictures!
That must have been a frightening wind!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Betsy EvansWe had the same terrible wind yesterday in Sardinia. It was un-fun for biking, especially in beach areas where the sands got whipped up. Only the windsurfers and kiteboarders seemed to be enjoying themselves. Still very windy today.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Betsy EvansThere are downed trees and branches all over Valencia, and they say the high wind conditions will continue through the weekend!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago