Day 39: Chalus to Thiviers - Grampies Cross Europe Germany to Spain Fall 2023 - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2023

Day 39: Chalus to Thiviers

Heart 0 Comment 0

With a couple of exceptions, just for variety, this turned out to be one of the most perfect days of cycling one could imagine. The secret was that to avoid the noisy N21 direct route to Thiviers, after casting around a bit in Chalus, we lucked onto a series of highly scenic very small farm roads, going up down and around, through field and forest. It was so beautiful, so restful, and in parts so interesting - just great!

We got a sendoff from these two cuties, good start.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We made our way to the centre of Chalus, and parked while sending Dodie in to the U-Tile, which is the fast convenience version of my favourite, Super -U. The square had a St Jacques, since here we are on the "Camino". I also noticed a Fall leaf - leaves have not really begun to fall here  - with some very interesting colours.

Unlimited "in square" parking.
Heart 2 Comment 0
See the mandatory "coquilles St Jacques" on his hat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall may be coming.
Heart 5 Comment 5
Mark BinghamThat's a really fantastic picture: Simple. Beautiful.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mark BinghamThank you, Mark.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick O'HaraAgreed. Nice shot.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraThank you, Patrick.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Karen PoretSteve’s photo is great and nature helped it along
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Once we got going, our road looked like this.

Heart 1 Comment 0

I have been disappointed in the limited amount of fruit we have found growing close enough to the roadside to be "fair game".  In fact, we have not seen too much fruit in general. But today was different. A tree loaded with big red apples was just standing there. And soon, a tree with many small but yummy plums, and then lots of figs!

The plums
Heart 1 Comment 0
The figs
Heart 2 Comment 2
Marvin PaxmanOh wow, I harvested several figs today btw, 3 different kinds.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Marvin PaxmanWe need you here to help identify the kinds we are seeing. As we get further south, or into Spain, we expect to see more figs, not to mention oranges.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

We continued for some time, enjoying all manner of small roads and farm scenes, before arriving at St Pierre de Frugie. This town, like others we have enjoyed today, had almost entirely lovely stone construction.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Scattered around the town were metal sculptures, each depicting some aspect of old time life.  One was called Le Feuillardier, and despite an info sign, we did not catch on to exactly what the craft was all about. But now we know: 

The Feuillardier is a person who uses Chestnut saplings to make the straps that hold barrels together. The saplings are 4 to 6 year old shoots from chestnut thickets, cut in winter when the sap goes down. Known for their strength, flexibility and rot-proof nature, these shoots are transformed to be used in particular for the strapping of barrels and casks exported to the Bordeaux, Cognac or Burgundy region. The strapping activity is located in Charente, Limousin and Périgord, particularly in the Vézère valley. The golden age of the profession was between the 1850s and 1920s.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The town also had a bread oven, dating to the end of the 19th century, again made with that beautiful stone. Inside the brickwork looks very difficult to do!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We left the town on our small roads again, sure that more lovely things were waiting to be found.

Heart 1 Comment 0
How about this little old house? In Germany this would evoke thoughts of some fairy tale person, but not so much in France?
Heart 3 Comment 4
Keith KleinThé Germans do seem to be rather more Grimm about their stories…
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinHaha. But nonetheless true.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick O'HaraI imagine being baked in an oven in that house!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraIt does have a Hansel and Gretel lòok to it.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
For Sesame Street graduates: One of these things is not like the others!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraCame first in my Sesame Street graduating class!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Teenage friends
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mother and child
Heart 3 Comment 0
Things continued like this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And like this
Heart 2 Comment 0

In due course, we arrived in the little town of St Paul LaRoche. Like everything in this region, the construction was of stone.  

Heart 3 Comment 0

For a fuller view of the church front, we'll step back a bit, and yes, that view is here just below. But it was a costly photo. After I took it, a woman erupted from the house just there, and began to berate me for having taken that step back. This is private property, just here, she exclaimed. We are glad that people like the church, but you have no right to be stepping on my property.

I am reporting her comments here in English, because, you guessed it, she was indeed from Britain, and as expected with the London/Oxford accent. In my old age I seem to have become super intolerant of people who pop out of buildings to berate me for just being alive, and innocently putting a foot or bike tire temporarily out of place, according to their opinion. My reaction seems to be always hostile, never apologetic. So in this case I said "I take it you are British, since I have so far not encountered such inappropriate behaviour from a French person". 

The batty woman was absorbing this jab when Dodie walked out of the church. Not having been a party to the goings on, she greeted the woman with characteristic good humour. The two then engaged in a long chat, which I found frustrating since at this point I would have preferred to argue rather than to chat. Eventually the woman walked us beside the church and pointed out the high road and the low road to Thiviers, wishing us "bon voyage". Don't you hate that diplomatic Dodie?

The "costly" full church photo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
She might be saying "he was this much on my land", but after Dodie took over, the subject of the egregious trespass got dropped. I had been in fact standing on that low cement wall, clearly beyond the grass, which might have been a debatable "no man's land".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is the inside of the darn church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
With a mandatory Jeanne d'Arc
Heart 1 Comment 0

We actually took the high road out of town, and were soon greeted by a population that was universally cheery and welcoming.  They were all looking our way, of course.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith KleinWow, those are about the latest sunflowers I’ve ever seen.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinSince no one seems to be harvesting them, no matter what their stage of ripeness is, it probably makes no difference.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We continued to look down into pleasant valleys, often with cows in the fields. At one point we spotted a small chateau on a hill, looking very lonely, I thought.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Chateau high on a distant hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In a zoomed view, it's quite large.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Things looked like this, until we reluctantly jumped back on the N21 to enter Thiviers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The N21 was not much fun, except look, a U Express!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Michael HutchingThat Super U! Those trucks! So familiar. We stopped the night in Thiviers earlier this year after buying supplies at that supermarché. The trucks were a bit thunderous but we arrived from Nontron after a pleasant voie verte experience. Went on to Perigueux on a wonderful route from Thiviers through the Vallée de l’Isle. Been very much enjoying your blog, trying to figure out which way you’ll go next! Cheers, Michael Hutching
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michael HutchingSo cool! We are sitting reading your comment by the mairie at St Vincent sur l'Isle, on the route to Perigueux you mentioned!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

The core of Thiviers was actually OK, with some narrow streets of crumbly buildings, and a "standard" square with church at one end and two bakeries at the other. The two bakeries were both closed, because in the case of one, as indicated on the door, this is Mercredi, and in the case of the other, just because, no matter what their door said.

Thiviers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thiviers
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church, no trouble stepping back here because it faces the traditional square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The square
Heart 0 Comment 0

The church seemed to have only one bit of stained glass. Nice though!

Heart 0 Comment 0
And here is what I take to be a very old St Jacques statue, though it lacks any telltale coquilles.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonGlad you captured that! That must be Saint Roch, a mendicant pilgrim, popular at the time of St. Jacques. While tending those ill with the plague, he became ill himself and withdrew to a hut in the forest. Miraculously a dog brought him bread every day. Here St. Roch is showing the wound on his leg. The dog and the exposed leg are his icons. I just read he is also patron saint of the falsely accused!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonFascinating. How do you know all this?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWhen we were walking the Chemin, we saw many statues of St. Roch. I just recognnize a few of the most common saints, but it makes visiting churches more interesting when I can identify some of the statues or paintings of saints and know the stories being told.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We circled around a bit, looking for any additional bakeries, but there seemed to only be the U Express, and their stuff was not up to snuff. Eventually we returned to the building on N21 that we figured was our studio. It was all shuttered and had not sign to hint at its status as a rental property. But a phone call soon produced  a lady in a car with a key. Despite appearances, the place is OK, and a fitting spot to go over our photos and already reminisce about what a great day this had been.

Our home on the N21.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,053 km (1,275 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0